COBettaCouple's tanks

COBettaCouple

Welcome to our tanks! ;D

Re: FLBettaCouple's tanks

Tank 1: Platys Tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Belle (Sunset Fire Mickey Mouse Platy), Minnie & Ariel (Blue Micky Mouse Platys), Mr. Taffy (Gold Twinbar Platy) and 3 Gold Twinbar Platy Fry
- Temporary home of 3 red fancy male guppies. -

COBettaCouple

Tank 2: (Guppies Tank)
10 gallon tank (Divided) - 2 Red Geissen Guppies on one side; 1 male and 3 female Red Fancy Guppies on the other side.

Tank 3: Aslan's Tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Aslan (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail)

Aslan got a new "Bubble River" - it'll be in the next vid.

Tank 4: Sweetie's Tank:
2.5 gallon minibow tank - Home to Sweetie (Blue-Green Metallic Female Veiltail) {Rescue Betta}

COBettaCouple

Tank 5: Big Teddy Bear's Tank:
6.6 gallon minibow bookshelf tank - Home to Big Teddy Bear (Bluish/White/Pink Feathered Male Over-Halfmoon Butterfly)
(He's our 'Special Needs' Betta - swim bladder disorder)

Tank 6: Betta sp. MahachaI tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Amidala and 4 of her babies.

COBettaCouple

Tank 7: Angel's Tank:
5 gallon hex tank - Home to Angel (White Opaque Female Delta Ray)

Tank 8: Mickey's Tank:
5g Hex Tank - Home to Mickey (Red Male Double Tail Combtail)

COBettaCouple

Tank 9: Kairi's Tank:
2.5 gallon mini-bow - Home to KairI (Steel Female Double-Ray Crowntail)

RIP: Super Mario (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail Betta)
RIP: Jericho (Red Male Halfmoon, Black & White Butterfly Betta)

RIP: Daisy (Gold Twinbar Platy)

RIP: Splinter, Donny, Leo (Otos)
RIP: KairI (Cory Cat)

capekate

Ohh now I see the new photos... posted while I was replying. Hey! I like the idea of the rubbermaid for a tank.   It works!!...
but I have to say on Kairis (sp?) bowl.... since its so small wouldnt she be better off without the castle in it? She would have more swimming space... I had 8 cents in the very same vase/bowl for a day when I got him, and without anything in it, just some stones and a air stone/tube, he seemed to have enough swimming space for a short time.
But anyway... you have some beauties there!  ;D and that big teddy bear!! wow... he is something!!  ;D You should be proud of your new lil additions!

COBettaCouple

Thanks for your compliments, we're proud of our growing family. Eventually I'd like to have links up for movies for them all as well as the pics.

I'd take the castle out, but she's actually gotten attached to it, she loves swimming in and out of the holes and when she's tired and i've got the tv on or am at the computer, I have the vase turned so she can lie inside it and sleep in relatively minimal light. She'll also dart inside it if she gets startled. Hopefully we can put her in a tank by friday.

hamstermann

thaose are some great tanks! So who's in charge of finding enough Disney related names for everyone?

COBettaCouple

hamstermann said:
thaose are some great tanks! So who's in charge of finding enough Disney related names for everyone?
Thanks, hope to have all the tanks up & running soon.
LOL. Stacy names some and I name some so we've got quite the range of names. from video games to disney to movies.

Bonochick

Impressive fish! That's quite a family you've got going! ;D

bbfeckawitts

WOW! That's A LOT of fish!!
How old are your 8 platy fry?
I've got eight, they are 2 weeks old tomorrow. I am just starting to see their yellow color. They are ALL Gold twinbars! I don't know what I will do with them.
Just pointing this out "Tank 3: Aslan's Tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Sora (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail)

His video: @ youtube or @ google video"

Good luck with your 100's of bettas! ;D
Brianna

lolagurl

adorable I love angel

COBettaCouple

bbfeckawitts said:
How old are your 8 platy fry?
I've got eight, they are 2 weeks old tomorrow. I am just starting to see their yellow color. They are ALL Gold twinbars! I don't know what I will do with them.

Just pointing this out "Tank 3: Aslan's Tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Sora (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail)
Thanks for spotting that oops for me. Fixed it now. Our fry vary from a little over 3 1/2 months old to almost 2 months old from 3 batches.

armadillo

FLBettaCouple said:
hamstermann said:
Thanks, hope to have all the tanks up & running soon.
LOL. Stacy names some and I name some so we've got quite the range of names. from video games to disney to movies.
Anakin and Amidala. Nice touch.

Don't they mind living in vases? It's quite a vertical structure and I ask myself this question about my mollies in my vertical hex (whether they wouldn't rather swim horizontally). But I know nothing about that fish species, and I always see them in vases in pet shops, so I guess that's OK. Especially considering your aquarium experience (that's a loooot of fish, you must never end taking care of them).

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Don't they mind living in vases? It's quite a vertical structure and I ask myself this question about my mollies in my vertical hex (whether they wouldn't rather swim horizontally). But I know nothing about that fish species, and I always see them in vases in pet shops, so I guess that's OK. Especially considering your aquarium experience (that's a loooot of fish, you must never end taking care of them).
I don't like putting them in the vases, but it's better than the little cups (these actually came in small bags) and more of a "we bought more bettas than we have tanks for" thing . We're moving them to tanks as soon as we can.. hopefully in the next day or 2 we can get KairI in her tank and Jericho in his tank by next week.

atmmachine816

Nice tanks, got quite a collection there.

nmwierman1977

Very nice set ups you have there Dave. All of your babies are beautiful including Anakin and Amidala. I hope they can have some babies for you soon. Natalie

armadillo

FLBettaCouple said:
armadillo said:
I don't like putting them in the vases, but it's better than the little cups (these actually came in small bags) and more of a "we bought more bettas than we have tanks for" thing .  We're moving them to tanks as soon as we can.. hopefully in the next day or 2 we can get KairI in her tank and Jericho in his tank by next week.

Wooooo... (she says, making the 'cute' sound). Am sure they'll be super happy!

Muffymouse

ahhhhhh. Those are some great photos. I love the backdrop on Tank 3: Aslan's Tank: 10 gallon tank - Home to Aslan (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail) Where you are doing the close up of Aslan. =)) made me laugh a little. Sending warm fuzzies your way on the breeding of your new pair. and to the long and happy lives of all of your underwater family.

COBettaCouple

Muffymouse said:
ahhhhhh. Those are some great photos. I love the backdrop on Tank 3: Aslan's Tank: 10 gallon tank - Home to Aslan (Red/Blue/Purple Male Veiltail) Where you are doing the close up of Aslan. =)) made me laugh a little. Sending warm fuzzies your way on the breeding of your new pair. and to the long and happy lives of all of your underwater family.
LOL.. yea, that backdrop has now been replaced with a plain piece of paper wrapped around the filter housing. Aslan had the best time flaring at it so we put the paper there to stop him from seeing it.

BDChzHd

HI FLBettaCouple,

I enjoy the pictures of your Bettas that you have posted here and of the homes you have made for them ~ beautiful fish and nice setups, BTW! But as a noob in the process of getting ready to acquire his first Betta (yeah, doing the research . . . ) your pictures have piqued my curiosity. However, I didn't want to "hijack" this thread so decided to PM you with my questions instead. Well, that didn't happen! I must admit I was a bit confused until I came across the thread about the SPAM in "Forum Announcements/Suggestions" ~ don't like it, but at least now I understand.

Anyway, I still enjoy your pictures and stop by every so often to admire them some more!

Take care,

Brain Dead Cheese Head . . .

COBettaCouple

BDChzHd said:
However, I didn't want to "hijack" this thread so decided to PM you with my questions instead. Well, that didn't happen! I must admit I was a bit confused until I came across the thread about the SPAM in "Forum Announcements/Suggestions" ~ don't like it, but at least now I understand.
Feel free to post a new thread in the betta forum. we'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

BDChzHd

I know you would and I appreciate the offer ~ but it seems such a divisive subject when brought up . . . People have very strong feelings about it! Really, I just wanted to compliment you on your Bettas, you have accomplished a lot in the relatively short time you have been keeping them. You did jump in with both feet and if I can do half as well, I'll be happy!

Thanks ~ I'll see you around the forum! Take care,

Brain Dead Cheese Head . . .

tan.b

wow! looking very organised with your photos and videos!can tell what your job is!!
love the big teddy bear one! and the red raggy tailed one..forgot his name already - sorry! no wonder you spend all your time cleaning tanks! there's loads!
i'm very jealous! if you get bored with your bettas or just can't find time for them....just ship them over here!
tan

bmRboY

OMG! I thought I had multiple tank disorder... lol.... now that's a lot of fish... and they look in GREAT shape.... truly beautiful...

timg

you have nearly as many tanks as me! They look splendid and the fish are beautiful. I shall have to look out for the MahachaI Bettas and see if I can get some into my setup. (I've not come across any in our local stores, and when mentioning them the other day, one of the shops said they would be very interested if we could breed them!)

nmwierman1977

I just watched your new videos of Anakin and Amidala flirting and spawning. That was pretty cool to watch. I've never seen fish actually spawn before. That's so cool. I'm so glad that you were able to catch that. So, how long did it take for them to spawn that many eggs? Natalie

COBettaCouple

They spawned for between 3 & 4 hours.

genie

I just want to point out that you 2 are now officially WORSE than me-- and I feel better about myself now--LOL! ;D
So here are the rules:
1. No more teasing Genie about betta buying
2. No more teasing Genie about betta buying
3. No more teasing Genie about betta buying

Ha ha just kiddin-- someone has to give me a hard time about my compulsive betta bug!

Muffymouse

I don't think you are in much danger of being completely usurped in the "betta buying" tease, but it will now be a much closer race

COBettaCouple

lol.. ok, I won't tease.. I'll tempt.. come on down to st.auggie and pick out some mahachaI bettas.. you know you want some.. you know you do..

armadillo

FLBettaCouple said:
Tank 1: Platys Tank:
10 gallon tank - Home to Belle (Sunset Fire Mickey Mouse Platy), Minnie & Ariel (Blue Micky Mouse Platys), 4 Gold Twinbar Platy Fry and Spike & Speed (JuliI Cory Cats)

Platys Video:

Corys Video:

The Platy Fry Video:
Oh, I see that you use no gravel in the platy tank. How do you find that (in terms of looks/cleaning/fish liking it)?

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Oh, I see that you use no gravel in the platy tank. How do you find that (in terms of looks/cleaning/fish liking it)?
well, I used to have that tank setup with the flat marbles on just the left 2/3 of the tank and had the right 1/3 bare. the fish liked it and quickly learned that was where the food would come to them. I need to update that picture though, since I put the baby platys in there, it's now just a very thin layer of marbles all across the tank.

armadillo

So no more bare tanks?

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
So no more bare tanks?
the wilds tank is bare, no substrata in it.

armadillo

And how does it compare maintenance/fish comfort-wise?

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
And how does it compare maintenance/fish comfort-wise?
at this point, it's the most work.. because the food is so tiny and the fry so tiny, that cleaning is a long careful tedious process. and with all the hiding places we put in for them to feel comfortable, the workload to clean it goes up.

armadillo

So no substrate = less work?

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
So no substrate = less work?
lol, I wish.. it just means less work than it would be if I had substrata and fed powder.. even with a bare bottom, the tank takes forever to clean with a turkey baster as the powder is all over and moves around so easily.

armadillo

You clean your tanks with a turkey baster? Sorry, am a pain. I always ask a gazillion side-questions. Must be hard to keep up.

COBettaCouple

yea, we gotta get a python one of these days, but I use turkey basters.. and even if we had a python, i'd still use the turkey baster on the tank with those tiny fry.

armadillo

Sounds verrrry meticulous. I just vacuum with a flexible piece of pipe in the tank with fry.

atmmachine816

When the fry get a little bigger you can get a thin netting, or bag such as the aquaclear type and put it over a small gravel vac and clean the tank with it. Most of the fry once big enough will stay away from the vacuum and you can cover more area faster and more efficiently. This is what I did when I had a fry tank up, working on getting it back up now actually. If you need a link I'll find one.

armadillo

They've been pretty good at not being close to me when I vaccuum. It's only a small hose. I was thinking of just attaching some nylon hosiery to the tip if it gets to be a danger, but so far, so good. They're being street-wise little mollies!

COBettaCouple

i've tried nylon as a fry-guard on the filter intake when we first had platy fry and pretty much all it did was clog up. that's why we went to netting cut off one of the fish nets that came with a tank kit.. but these fry easily slip through holes that big.. so i'm just playing it safe with the turkey baster -- and triple checking for babies that get sucked up.. some always do, even with the baster.

armadillo

Yeah, I figured nylon might do that. Ah well, they really are being quite smart about it, so I won't worry for now. If I see they get the tendency to get too close, I'll try the blaster.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Yeah, I figured nylon might do that. Ah well, they really are being quite smart about it, so I won't worry for now. If I see they get the tendency to get too close, I'll try the blaster.
don't blast your little fish! they didn't mean it! mercy! have mercy! please!

armadillo

blaster, baster. Same business.

I have no idea what you call a turkey baster in Dutch, though. My Dutch vocabulary has been expanding in the bizarrest of ways lately. My boyfriend regularly has to answer things like: How do you say... alkaline in Dutch, and what about nitrite, or cycling? And he's like. Erm, I dont' know, you weirdo?

So turkey baster is my next vocabulary mission.

timg

Just cleaned out one of my fry tanks with a large-bore pipe to remove the gravel. There were over 70 fry in the tank when I started, and about 40 in the bucket when I finished!

They enjoyed the ride, and I just strained the bucket through a catch net and returned them to the tank unharmed. It was the easiest way to remove the gravel and the debris quickly. Normally I use a piece of air pipe to vacuum the rubbish out, but this time I wanted to remove the gravel as well. The air pipe is small enough not to cause a problem with the fry when they are small, but when they get a little bigger, there is a risk of them getting stuck in the pipe, so I use the larger bore for safety. The fry actually try to get into the pipe, so they must enjoy it! For small fry, I have a very fine floating catch net at the outlet of the siphon pipe to catch them as they emerge. it saves having to find them in a large bucket of water!

Either way, I always clean into a bucket, so any that do escape down the tube can be returned.

COBettaCouple

i'm amazed how much tinier these betta fry are but then the only other fry that we had were platys until now. they already show flee response to the turkey baster and can be quite evasive. the mahachaI are so timid, I'll probably never use anything but a baster on their tank.

but your idea is great and quite sound.. I'll have to remember that for when we get to breeding splendens one day.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom