Cobalt killing female. Extract who

Andyfischer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a mature male blue cobalt Zebra who is terrorizing the tank. There is two females and him. One female is tattered and hiding in plumbing. Being pushed by both other fish. Visible injures. Do I tank out him or her. Dumb question. She's coming out. She can't even come out to eat.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tank size? Number of all fish in the tank?

Generally the more females you have the better. In a bigger tank you will want have a few females to every male. I suggest you remove the aggressor for now.

OP
Andyfischer

Andyfischer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
75/27

She's out. I'm hoping she'll survive. I've got her in a 5 gal tank. That's all I had. Treating with Melafix. She is torn up. Hoping I can get her to eat. It will be a slow process I'm guessing.

The tank is cycled but not great. Must keep eyes on parameters. What's a bucket of water.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Our 55 gallon African tank (mainly Mbuna) is all males. No females for them to fight over !

We have a Cobalt and Ice Blue Zebra. They are the largest in the tank, but so far they haven't got too mean.

Are there other female Mbuna in your tank ?

OP
Andyfischer

Andyfischer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes community tank. Two. Ones the one recuperating. I think she’ll make it. Then I’ll reduce her and take him out. He too is largest in tank. Very pretty. Loves to dig.

OP
Andyfischer

Andyfischer

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh. Yeah. Every species has at least 2 females. She has damaged scales and fins except the little ones on the bottom. Out of town for four day, use everyday feeder, and will move the male out and reintroduce her when I return. Hoping she’ll join the community and not just go back to hiding in the plumbing. I treated her. If she does not rejoin she is probably history.

New Threads