Coal Slag Vs Copper Slag

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Charlaboo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. C

Charlaboo Valued Member Member

Hey all - I saw a lot of posts about people using coal slag for inexpensive black sand - can't get that in Alberta, so I'm using copper slag,,yes I know copper can be toxic to fish.. just wanted to say I expected to have to do a lot t more rinsing all the posts about coal slag said there was a certain amount of sludge to be rinsed away .. I rinsed each bucket of copper slag 4 times, but no residue came out, then I added dechlorinator etc and made sure my filter had activated carbon.. bought a copper test .. been running a month tested water no signs of copper no deaths or signs of disease everyone is eating even the snails and plants are alive and well.. snails are actually reproducing ..just though I would share my experience

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Thanks. There was a post on here not too long ago about bdbs up in Canada under a different name. I'll post it if I can find it. You should add the product name just for future reference.

3. L

Luciferene Valued Member Member

I get black blasting sand from TSC here in Ontario. So far it's worked out for me. But this product is not nearly as washed as BDBS though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice