CO2

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have CO2 for my plants. But from what I see on planted tank pictures and from what I read, I know CO2 (combined with appropriate lighting and substrate) can produce wonderful looking plants. I also heard here on Fish Lore that CO2 devices can sometimes break, and IF they do, your fish die instantly. So I guess that's an inherent danger of having a CO2 device in your planted tank. I want a densely planted tank in the future - however I haven't decided yet whether I'd use CO2 injections. I have read a book that explains how to maintain a beautiful planted tank without CO2 injections. I think I will try to recreate this kind of a tank rather than endangering my fish to possible CO2 poisoning.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm in the process of making a DIY CO2 system. You can read it if you want. So far it was going good until the hot glue doesn't want to hold so now I have to buy some aquarium silicone to seal it. I have built a catch bottle too so it is pretty much impossible to kill the fish with it. I plan on making a planted tank this year with 2wpg, co2 and ferts, sorta of like Isabella wants, probably just on a much smaller scale but that won't be for awhile, right now I'm working on figureing out the CO2. If you do do it you have to make sure you aren't having large PH swings as that will become deadly to your fish.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
From all that I've read, I choose not to use CO2 in my tanks with fish. Ask Dino about a CO2 dump. It's just not worth it to me. The plants look beautiful, but if I did try a tank with CO2, it wouldn't have any fish in it. Just my opinion.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's what I'm going to do now, originally once it started I was going to move the baby guppies but now that I can't do it for awhile I'm going to wait until I can set it up as a planted tank and plant it with co2 and ferts than add fish.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I've heard it's not necesary, as well as endangering the fish. I just stick to the easy care plants that you just need to add water and watch grow. ;D The plants may not be quite as big and beautiful as they could be, but small price to pay for the safety of the fish, and hey, no one's gonna know except you.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's necessary once you hit 2wpg and over because you will have TONS of algae. Personally if you do it right you will not have any problems and of couse if you spend the mega bucks on a pressurized one well then your'e in good shape, and you have lots of loose money. I'm going to use it because I RREEALLYY want a planted tank, now if I put fish in it, that's a different story. I haven't decided on that yet and won't until I have it the way AI wnat it, then maybe I will.

Austin

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
It's necessary once you hit 2wpg and over because you will have TONS of algae.  Personally if you do it right you will not have any problems and of couse if you spend the mega bucks on a pressurized one well then your'e in good shape, and you have lots of loose money.  I'm going to use it because I RREEALLYY want a planted tank, now if I put fish in it, that's a different story. I haven't decided on that yet and won't until I have it the way AI wnat it, then maybe I will.

Austin
I thought that too until I changed the bulbs in my 10 gal. I now have 3 wpg in that tank, no CO2, very minimal algae and my plants are very green.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll just leave it. I really want my tank to fill in, that's all. It's an interesting read, but I'm not the least bit handy. I may cause a small-scale explosion.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The reason there are algae in a tank (supposing there is no algae eater) is because of strong light (or prolonged periods of light) and because of excess nutrients in the water. If you have strong lighting and A LOT of plants, you can still have a successful tank without CO2 injections. That is because the plants compete with algae for nutrients. So if you have enough plants, they may actually help prevent algae. Ideally, combined with a good algae eater - a strong light and densely planted tank without algae is actually possible without CO2 injections. And it's far safer for fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom