CO2 VS excel/alternative for planted carpet tank.

logqnty

Hello,
I would like to setup a planted carpet tanks, and I am almost done planning. I plan to use miracle grow organic soil as the substrate, finnex planted + lighting (one 48 inch and another 30 inch), but I am still on the fence about co2 and ferts. Is Excel a stable alternative to co2 injection, as long as I am fine with slow growth and more maintenance? also, any recommendation on liquid ferts?
Thanks!

ruud

Judging your questions you should study a bit more before you begin.

If you like to inject CO2 to your tanks, you should use pressurized CO2. Not all carpet plants require this though; you can be successful with e.g. a shallow tank and moderate to strong water flow as well. But if you like to carpet with HC for example, it will be very difficult without pressurized CO2.

Excel will not deliver this. Cutting some corners; Excel contains glutaraldehyde which kills algae, thereby helping plants a bit. It does not deliver CO2.

Regarding liquid ferts; an all in one is easiest. If you are using aquasoil and/or have plenty of fish swimming around and/or not so many plants in the beginning, select an all in one without/low concentration of nitrates and phosphates.

Regarding lighting; this is important, especially in relationship to CO2 and nutrients. Study PAR levels a bit in relation to carpet plants. Take account of the distance of your carpets to your light systems.

logqnty

you should study a bit more before you begin.
Yeah I have been trying, there is just so much info out there I don't know where to being. so many sources are either too broad or too specific. any resources you can recommend?

ruud

In general for planted tanks: The 2Hr Aquarist check in the main menu the Learn link. Or start here: Planted Tank 101

As for carpeting, I highly recommend you start off with monte carlo (and perhaps you don't want anything else for carpeting once you have it); I recently set up a new tank that has monte carlo in a shallow tank without pressurized CO2 injection and moderate to strong flow.

In the past I used CO2 injection with monte carlo, but after 6 months I really got tired of trimming.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yeti79
Replies
Views
AquaLawyer
  • Question
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
Replies