CO2 tank size for 150-170 Gallon Tank?

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm thinking of setting up an outdoor tub around 150-170 gallons. What size CO2 canister would I need for that much water? Also, will the tank be damaged if it's in heat as high as 115 degrees?
Thank you :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you set something like that up just put some organic soil cap it with sand give it 6-8 hours of real sunlight and it will absolutely thrive. Also if your doing plants only just put the garden hose in there every few days and flush out some old water.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
If you set something like that up just put some organic soil cap it with sand give it 6-8 hours of real sunlight and it will absolutely thrive. Also if your doing plants only just put the garden hose in there every few days and flush out some old water.
My main concern is the heat though. I'm assuming the heat could/would just kill off all the plants, which concerns me because all the equipment is definitely not cheap. I would put some guppies in there just to prevent mosquitos, but again the heat is a concern. I'm still trying to find the best spot in my backyard for optimal lighting, but I'll keep that in mind! Thank you!
Also this is a little off topic, but do you think a pond liner is necessary for this project? If anything, I can use separate containers to hold the soil, sand, and plants.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MaximumRide14 said:
My main concern is the heat though. I'm assuming the heat could/would just kill off all the plants, which concerns me because all the equipment is definitely not cheap. I would put some guppies in there just to prevent mosquitos, but again the heat is a concern. I'm still trying to find the best spot in my backyard for optimal lighting, but I'll keep that in mind! Thank you!
Also this is a little off topic, but do you think a pond liner is necessary for this project? If anything, I can use separate containers to hold the soil, sand, and plants.
We did a 29 last year with 12 guppies, a few ramshorns which turned into 100's and some plants. Now its inside and it has 6 guppies 12 tiger barbs an albino BN pleco and some albino corys and it is the most densly planted tank We have. We currently have a 20 tall i found on the sidewalk as a new experiment. Haven't gone crazy planting it yet.. Sorry rambling.. Let your pond establish add a few plants and more towards the end of summer start loading it up with plants or use what has grown in it throughout the summer and propagate it and yourpond will fill up fast.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
We did a 29 last year with 12 guppies, a few ramshorns which turned into 100's and some plants. Now its inside and it has 6 guppies 12 tiger barbs an albino BN pleco and some albino corys and it is the most densly planted tank We have. We currently have a 20 tall i found on the sidewalk as a new experiment. Haven't gone crazy planting it yet.. Sorry rambling.. Let your pond establish add a few plants and more towards the end of summer start loading it up with plants or use what has grown in it throughout the summer and propagate it and yourpond will fill up fast.
Ok thanks. Unfortunately I picked the worst time to be starting an outdoor pond, but building up to August is a good idea. I'm starting a job in August so after a week or two I can start paying everything back.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking about this -where i am located the winters low are in the low 20's and the highs are just over 100 during the summer. Not sure any natural fishes could tolerate that range even if i were to heat it a little during the winter.

New Threads