CO2 Tank Leak, will DHG be OK?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I noticed today at lights on that my CO2 wasn't working and that the tank was empty. Stupid me forgot to put the o-ring on when putting on my regulator.

I do not have access to a place to get it refilled until the business can reopen after the COVID-19 stuff improves. The tank has a well-established carpet of dwarf hairgrass. Will it be ok without CO2 for a while?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dang, sorry to hear that!
I think some prevention methods will be your best bet, cut lighting hours and intensity. Adjust fertilizer if needed. Might get a little melt if they don't like the sudden lack of CO2. Water change that organic material out if it happens.

If you have the time, you could also try a daily draining to expose the carpet to atmospheric CO2 for a few minutes, spraying to keep them wet, and filling back up with the same water so you don't have to dose every day. Though this will still end up requiring more water changes, since draining + refilling kicks up a ton of debris. I did this quite successfully on my 1 gallon buce tank back when I still had the time, but I've also melted a couple before by letting them go too long in the air. I know you have shrimp, if they're in this tank it might not be a great idea though lol.

OP
Fahn

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Dang, sorry to hear that!
I think some prevention methods will be your best bet, cut lighting hours and intensity. Adjust fertilizer if needed. Might get a little melt if they don't like the sudden lack of CO2. Water change that organic material out if it happens.

If you have the time, you could also try a daily draining to expose the carpet to atmospheric CO2 for a few minutes, spraying to keep them wet, and filling back up with the same water so you don't have to dose every day. Though this will still end up requiring more water changes, since draining + refilling kicks up a ton of debris. I did this quite successfully on my 1 gallon buce tank back when I still had the time, but I've also melted a couple before by letting them go too long in the air. I know you have shrimp, if they're in this tank it might not be a great idea though lol.
I've already lowered the lighting intensity and cut dosing down, hopefully that helps

Yep, it's a crystal red tank. Not only would multiple water changes probably kill them, but I have to manually mix water to a specific GH every water change. Given the current situation, that would mean going to the store multiple times for jugs of distilled water per week, and I'm trying to stay home unless I absolutely need something.

There is a local gas company that is selling prefilled 5# canisters for $97... that would be over a year's worth of CO2...

New Threads