CO2 Tank inquiry

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by ilikefish, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Does anyone know if I can empty a propane tank (like for grills) and fill it with CO2?

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I don't believe so. I can't remember exactly why but I do know I have read in a couple of places that they eiter are not suitable or are not allowed to be filled with co2. I can't remember which. If you want a cheap & easy co2 tank find an old fire extinguisher & use that. 20lb fire extinguiser bottles are very popular for injected co2.

3. ilikefishValued MemberMember

? o_O... really?... ooooo... thanks! :)

4. ilikefishValued MemberMember

would this fire-extinguisher + this regulator work?

I'm guessing I just empty the fire extinguisher and then use pliers + Teflon tape to take off and then attach the regulator?

Thanks for the tip

5. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

That extinguisher cylinder is only for A-B-C refill. I doubt you'll get CO2 there since the cylinders for CO2 extinguisher (those are used in industrial kitchens) are quite robust due to the high pressure needed for CO2 (in comparison with the much lower pressure A-B-C mixture is stored at).

That CO2 adjuster is just the coupling piece that connects the regulator itself with the electromechanical solenoid and allows the pressurized gas to continue its flow to the diffuser (placed inside the tank).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

PS There's a somewhat cheap pressurized CO2 system that use Paint Ball cylinders. They are not semiautomatic but all you need to do is carefully adjust its output and place a good air-pump to kick in during the lights off time to avoid killing your fish.

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it needs to be a co2 based fire extinguiser. Good info above from Pepe. Depending on which tank this is going to be for the paintball cylinder option may or may not work for you. On the 10gal it would be ok but on one of the larger tanks the painball cyclinder won't be large enough to last very long at all, especially if this is for your 80gal. Even on the 30gal I would say paintball cylinders are too small but on the 10gal they would definitely be an option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice