Co2 Systems ... For Newbiots

  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
Okay, so I try to do my part and look up: CO2 systems...and I don't understand what these people are talking about...yet. Now, no doubt, my question has been asked a gazillion times. So, thank you to the patient mentors who share their knowledge.

Do I have this right? I can either set up 2X2L bottles with chemicals that I have to change once a month, or get a system with a CO2 tank that lasts a year?

Before I get into that, I ask myself do I need it? I want to grow plants, really like the aquascapingthing. My fish are easy, hardy, white clowd minnows, plecos and snails in a 10 gallon tank. I will soil up before I do any fancy CO2 systems or Oxygen diffusing stones. Should I actually get a heater before anything?

Thank you
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Aquarista said:
Okay, so I try to do my part and look up: CO2 systems...and I don't understand what these people are talking about...yet. Now, no doubt, my question has been asked a gazillion times. So, thank you to the patient mentors who share their knowledge.

Do I have this right? I can either set up 2X2L bottles with chemicals that I have to change once a month, or get a system with a CO2 tank that lasts a year?

Before I get into that, I ask myself do I need it? I want to grow plants, really like the aquascapingthing. My fish are easy, hardy, white clowd minnows, plecos and snails in a 10 gallon tank. I will soil up before I do any fancy CO2 systems or Oxygen diffusing stones. Should I actually get a heater before anything?

Thank you
Welcome!
First do you know about Nitrogen Cycle?
2nd it wasn't clear to me but do you have the tank setup already or all of this is just a plan?
3rd about the CO2, it's good to have it will help the plants drastically, but depends on what plants you have and other equipment you'll have on the tank.
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
thanks for responding I guess i get lost in the fog of undetailed information. My real question is: if I opt for the CO2 tank*, where do I get it filled up?
*meaning the pressurized reservoir of CO2 and not the fish tank

cheers
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
482
Points
108
Experience
4 years
Aquarista said:
thanks for responding I guess i get lost in the fog of undetailed information. My real question is: if I opt for the CO2 tank*, where do I get it filled up?
*meaning the pressurized reservoir of CO2 and not the fish tank

cheers
Welding supply stores are usually able to refill or stores, who sell home brewery stuff.
I would definitely encourage you to read up on this topic and how CO2 interacts with other stuff in your tank. It's very easy to wipe out the fauna with CO2 if done incorrectly.
 

fissh

Well Known Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1,308
Points
163
Experience
More than 10 years
Any place that has beer supplies will either be able to fill it or tell you where to fill it.

DSCN4475.JPG
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
thank you
 

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
494
Points
83
How long it will last depends on size of the tank and bubbles-per-second (bps) you need for level of CO2. At the moment, I'm using those little 24oz paintball CO2 tanks that I bought at Sports Authority and they refill for $4. They are lasting me around 4 weeks right now at 3-4bps in a 54g tank. I'm also using a 'reactor' inline with my canister filter, so I'm getting nearly 100% absorbtion into my water with no little co2 bubbles getting wasted like with diffusers. I'm looking at 5 gallon, 10 gallon and 20 gallon options now so I don't need to refill as often. Many places can do 10 gallon or 20 gallon swaps for anywhere from $15-$40/tank depending on size, etc. Home Depot does 20 gallon swaps for $30. Fire extingisher service locations can do refills, but around me they are more expensive. I think a 20 gallon will barely fit in my tank stand, so I'm looking at 10 gallon and refill options.
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
what plants do you have right now?
CO2 system is not cheap so we would like to make sure that if you decide on getting it, you'll benefit instead of having more issues.
Also good lighting should also be considered if our planning to do the CO2 route
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
Is it worth even considering this for a ten gallon tank...all things considered...or am I trying to ride a tricycle on the highway?
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
TexasGuppy said:
How long it will last depends on size of the tank and bubbles-per-second (bps) you need for level of CO2. At the moment, I'm using those little 24oz paintball CO2 tanks that I bought at Sports Authority and they refill for $4. They are lasting me around 4 weeks right now at 3-4bps in a 54g tank. I'm also using a 'reactor' inline with my canister filter, so I'm getting nearly 100% absorbtion into my water with no little co2 bubbles getting wasted like with diffusers. I'm looking at 5 gallon, 10 gallon and 20 gallon options now so I don't need to refill as often. Many places can do 10 gallon or 20 gallon swaps for anywhere from $15-$40/tank depending on size, etc. Home Depot does 20 gallon swaps for $30. Fire extingisher service locations can do refills, but around me they are more expensive. I think a 20 gallon will barely fit in my tank stand, so I'm looking at 10 gallon and refill options.
hey what c02 reactor do you use, not to hijack the thread just curious
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
because right now my plants are pretty prolific with just the LED and some morning light, wouldnt want to rock the boat like you say,
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Aquarista said:
Is it worth even considering this for a ten gallon tank...all things considered...or am I trying to ride a tricycle on the highway?
all depends on you goal, and plants you're trying to grow.

Aquarista said:
because right now my plants are pretty prolific with just the LED and some morning light, wouldnt want to rock the boat like you say,
what plants do you have?
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
***puts on the newbiot cap*** I don't know ... I grabbed a handful of the cheapest bushiest one, its like water chickory...not pretty but efficient.

I got a few more delicate ones from someone, like mini lilipads on a long stem (maybe 4'') and some wild crazy barbed wire like stuff.

 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
I'm new to plants too but I'll try my best, others might jump in to correct me.
1st pic looks like water wisteria
2nd pic I'm not sure
3rd pic looks like guppy grass.

both 1st and 3rd doesn't really need co2 injection. I mean all plants will benefit from CO2 but if it's not balance properly (i.e. too muc or not sufficient light) it can make the tank imbalance and cuase algae problems.
 
  • Thread starter

Aquarista

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
12
Points
18
excellent ty
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
494
Points
83
Ista 80076 Co2 External Reactor
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
3,102
Points
298
Experience
3 years
The first is wisteria, the second is hydrocotyle (not tripartita, some other species), third is pearlweed. They'll be fine without CO2.
 

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
1,297
Points
198
Aquarista said:
because right now my plants are pretty prolific with just the LED and some morning light, wouldnt want to rock the boat like you say,
If you are happy with your plant growth, I wouldn't deal with CO2, especially with the easy plants you have.
Keep in mind that a 10 gal doesn't have a lot of capacity for growth, you'll be soon pruning your plants constantly.
You could Google low tech planted tanks and see if you like what you find. You can have a nicely planted tank without CO2.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,630
Reaction score
6,171
Points
658
Experience
More than 10 years
You could use liquid CO2. I use flourish Excel and grow everything from chain sword to Madagascar lace plants. Some plants do not like Excel though, like the vals and moss balls. I also use a lot of other plant products.


A sample of some of our plants.
1.
_MG_7195.0..jpg


2.
_MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg


3.
_MG_7681.0.jpg
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom