Co2 Systems ... For Newbiots

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Aquarista, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Aquarista

Aquarista New Member Member

Okay, so I try to do my part and look up: CO2 systems...and I don't understand what these people are talking about...yet. Now, no doubt, my question has been asked a gazillion times. So, thank you to the patient mentors who share their knowledge.

Do I have this right? I can either set up 2X2L bottles with chemicals that I have to change once a month, or get a system with a CO2 tank that lasts a year?

Before I get into that, I ask myself do I need it? I want to grow plants, really like the aquascapingthing. My fish are easy, hardy, white clowd minnows, plecos and snails in a 10Gal tank. I will soil up before I do any fancy CO2 systems or Oxygen diffusing stones. Should I actually get a heater before anything?

Thank you

2. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Welcome!
    First do you know about Nitrogen Cycle?
    2nd it wasn't clear to me but do you have the tank setup already or all of this is just a plan?
    3rd about the CO2, it's good to have it will help the plants drastically, but depends on what plants you have and other equipment you'll have on the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

thanks for responding I guess i get lost in the fog of undetailed information. My real question is: if I opt for the CO2 tank*, where do I get it filled up?
    *meaning the pressurized reservoir of CO2 and not the fish tank

cheers

4. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Welding supply stores are usually able to refill or stores, who sell home brewery stuff.
    I would definitely encourage you to read up on this topic and how CO2 interacts with other stuff in your tank. It's very easy to wipe out the fauna with CO2 if done incorrectly.

5. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Any place that has beer supplies will either be able to fill it or tell you where to fill it.

DSCN4475.JPG

6. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

thank you

7. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

How long it will last depends on size of the tank and bubbles-per-second (bps) you need for level of CO2. At the moment, I'm using those little 24oz paintball CO2 tanks that I bought at Sports Authority and they refill for $4. They are lasting me around 4 weeks right now at 3-4bps in a 54g tank. I'm also using a 'reactor' inline with my canister filter, so I'm getting nearly 100% absorbtion into my water with no little co2 bubbles getting wasted like with diffusers. I'm looking at 5g, 10g and 20g options now so I don't need to refill as often. Many places can do 10g or 20g swaps for anywhere from $15-$40/tank depending on size, etc. Home Depot does 20g swaps for $30. Fire extingisher service locations can do refills, but around me they are more expensive. I think a 20g will barely fit in my tank stand, so I'm looking at 10g and refill options.

8. Ryan P

what plants do you have right now?
    CO2 system is not cheap so we would like to make sure that if you decide on getting it, you'll benefit instead of having more issues.
    Also good lighting should also be considered if our planning to do the CO2 route

9. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

Is it worth even considering this for a ten gallon tank...all things considered...or am I trying to ride a tricycle on the highway?

10. Ryan P

hey what c02 reactor do you use, not to hijack the thread just curious

11. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

because right now my plants are pretty prolific with just the LED and some morning light, wouldnt want to rock the boat like you say, :)

12. Ryan P

all depends on you goal, and plants you're trying to grow.

what plants do you have?

13. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

14. Ryan P

I'm new to plants too but I'll try my best, others might jump in to correct me.
    1st pic looks like water wisteria
    2nd pic I'm not sure
    3rd pic looks like guppy grass.

both 1st and 3rd doesn't really need co2 injection. I mean all plants will benefit from CO2 but if it's not balance properly (i.e. too muc or not sufficient light) it can make the tank imbalance and cuase algae problems.

15. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

excellent ty

16. Ryan P

np and goodluck, keep us posted!

17. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

18. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The first is wisteria, the second is hydrocotyle (not tripartita, some other species), third is pearlweed. They'll be fine without CO2.

19. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

If you are happy with your plant growth, I wouldn't deal with CO2, especially with the easy plants you have.
    Keep in mind that a 10 gal doesn't have a lot of capacity for growth, you'll be soon pruning your plants constantly.
    You could Google low tech planted tanks and see if you like what you find. You can have a nicely planted tank without CO2.

20. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

You could use liquid CO2. I use flourish Excel and grow everything from chain sword to Madagascar lace plants. Some plants do not like Excel though, like the vals and moss balls. I also use a lot of other plant products.

A sample of some of our plants.
    _MG_7195.0..jpg

_MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_7681.0.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice