co2 system

1. fishermanspie Member Member

Hi I have a juwel rio 180 tank .
    At the moment I have 11 lemon tetras , 9 corydoras harbrosous ,and plan on getting 16 cardinal tetra and 6 otocinclus , oh I also have 30 assorted small shrimp !!
    The tank is planted and I feed once a week and use flourish excell every other day . Lights 2 x 45 watts for 8 hours but still my plants keep going transparent and black in parts , I have dwarf hair grass , tall hair grass and ECHINODORUS TENELLUS this is the one where the leafs are not healthy .
    Now for the question what co2 system would you recommend that includes everything and is both safe and easy to use . (not to expensive up to £200)
    I also have more algae then I would like !

2. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

If you already have algae Co2 will just make it worse. You might have too much light on the tank or your water chemistry may be unbalanced. The best thing to do when you add a Co2 system is to plant heavily right away to deter algae. With enough plants there aren't leftovers for algae to live off of. I have a Milwaukee Instruments Co2 regulator with solenoid valve and bubble counter on my 55g tank. All told the regulator, 5lb Co2 bottle, and glass diffuser cost me $200 so that should be under £200

3. fishermanspie Member Member

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Aquarium Aquascaping to Aquarium Plants/Plant CO2 section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

5. fishermanspie Member Member

Thanks Ken :;scuba

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Having 90 watts of light (I assume standard flourescent) over a 180 liter tank puts you in the high light range. At this level higher levels of ferts and CO2 are also required. What is the color temperature of your light tubes? Does the light appear blue, pink, yellow, white or some other color?

What ferts are you dosing? How much Excel is used with each dose?

There are a couple of algae forms that come to mind with the black spots. Can you post a picture of it?

How long have the plants been in your tank? It is not unusual for plants to go through a slight melt or die back when first planted.

What are your current water parameters? An unstable tank can lead to algae. Something to rule out.

As for a CO2 unit, you have a couple of choices. DIY CO2 where you recycle soda bottles and generate CO2 with a yeast and sugar mixture that must be replaced every 10-14 days on average. Or you can spend money on an injected system. With your budget, you could definitely have a semi-automatic set up for CO2. I spent about $150 US Dollars, which is roughly half your budget. Then use the rest to purchase a 10 pound canister and the gas. Here's the semi-automatic set up I purchased when it was on sale: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9935&pcatid=9935. Once set up you will not need to use Excel, just the fertilizers.

Hope this helps.