CO2 system question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, just a quick question... While my tank is cycling I'm going to add some plants and a DIY CO2 system, it looks easy. Will I still need to leave a CO2 system in a heavily planted aquarium once the plants are fully grown and fish are added (after it's done cycling)

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's your wpg going to be? If it's anything over 2wpg, you'll need CO2 as long as you have plants. The plants will never be "full grown", they'll always be photosynthesizing and growing new leaves or fronds or whatever they grow.

-Lisa

OP
A

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh the bulbs I have right now will only be running 30 WPG, guess I need to get some better lighting, lol. And I did a lot of googling and found some stuffs out. Thanks for the reply, it got me started on research. XD

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you mean 30 watts or 30 watts per gallon?

You're going to need some pretty powerful lights to have a heavily planted 70g tank. Even if you just grow low-light stuff like java moss and java fern you'll need at the absolute least 70 watts. High light plants are in the 3-5 watts per gallon range, so 210-350 watts.

-Lisa

OP
A

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you mean 30 watts or 30 watts per gallon?

You're going to need some pretty powerful lights to have a heavily planted 70g tank. Even if you just grow low-light stuff like java moss and java fern you'll need at the absolute least 70 watts. High light plants are in the 3-5 watts per gallon range, so 210-350 watts.

-Lisa
It is just 30 watts for the 70 gallon, which is less than .5 per gallon, so I know I need to upgrade.
I'm on a budget can I use the newer curly fluorescent bulbs to DIY my lighting?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Compact fluorescent wattage is considered the same as traditional fluorescent tubes. Unfortunately, you're going to need a T5HO (high output) fixture to get up to the kind of wattages you need for medium and high light plants, and they aren't exactly cheap. When looking at them, the wattage listed for T5HO is roughly double standard wattage.

-Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom