CO2 System for 75g

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Dom90, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

So I'm thinking about taking my tank to the next level by adding co2 injection. Not really sure where to begin. I've heard of some brands of regulators such as Aquatek and Milwaukee. Would this work for my needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Or would this be a better option?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

So a regulator would be all I would need,in addition to the tank itself? Does it come with all the tubing to connect from the co2 tank to the aquarium or would I have to buy that separately?

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I believe the aquatek already comes with everything, you also need to buy a diffuser. I recommend a glass diffuser

5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Any diffusers you would recommend?

6. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

On a 75 gallon a CO2 inline reactor or atomizer would be the way to go. You can build or buy a reactor. The atomizer will give you micro bubbles. So if that does not appeal to you, go with a reactor.

You may need to inject it in 2 different places in your tank also to make sure it is being distributed evenly.

8. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I think green leaf aquariums sells inline reactors

9. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok you lost me here, what does the atomizer or reactor do? And should I get like a Y-diffuser type thing so I can inject in 2 different places? Please forgive the noob questions, just want to do it right the first time lol.

10. AndyVEValued MemberMember

Just ordered a CO2 kit today.

as far as i can follow both are ways to disperse the CO2 into the tank water.

But unlike diffusers they can be mounted outside the tank (connected to the tubing of your canister filter). This way the CO2 is dissolved 100%.
    Some atomisers are also inside the tank and create a mist.

With diffuser inside your tank you get CO2 bubbels flowing up to the surface and those that reach the surface cause lost CO2.
    But you need a good wter flow to disperese the CO2 in your tank.

So a reactor or atomizer or are more effective delivery devices.

An atomizer has a ceramic element that creates very tiny bubbles (mist).
    if i am correct an atomizer needs 30psi in order to work though.
    So need to check if the regulator can handle that. It will also not reduce your water flow of your filter.

Reactor is bigger and is filled with bioballs (one that i saw) to break up the CO2 bubbels and mix it with the water flowing through it.
    So is very efficient., but will reduce the water flow of your filter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...
    Like mentioned at the beginning i just ordered my CO2 set today but did loads of reading between flipper, diffuser,reactor, atomizer.

Ps went with an inline atomizer to put inbetween the outlet tube of my canister filter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  11. AndyVEValued MemberMember

CO2 basic setup:
    - regultor (make sure it can handle 30psi in case you
    want to upgrade the delivery system later)
    - CO2 cannister (incl stand and bracket to pick it up)
    - delivery system to the water: flipper, diffuser, atomizer or a reactor
    - special one way valve that can handle CO2 (those for an airstone are not good)
    - bubble counter (so you can check how much CO2 you are adding per second)
    With some delivery systems the bubbels can be seen and so can counted there
    (For axample with a flipper, but not possible with a reactor or atomizer)
    - CO2 tubing (4-6mm usually) and again not use those for an airstone
    (cannot handle pressure and CO2 can leak through it)
    - magnetic valve that can be connected to a timer so you can automatically shut of
    the CO2 when the lights are not on (plants stop using CO2).
    Can be seen as an extra but without you nanually need to open and close the
    CO2 regulator depending if the tank light is on or not.
    - a long term CO2 test (inside tank) with kH4 sollution
    (can be bought or made yourself)

extra (but not needed):
    pH contoller (expensive and also has a running cost)

12. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Here is a link to a good article that explains everything need for CO2 injection, from plantedtank.net....

13. JswinWell Known MemberMember

I just ordered an inline atomizer. Basically it's like an air stone that releases micro bubbles in your canister return line.

14. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm getting mixed ideas on whether to upgrade lighting first or get co2 injection to go high tech. Two people already mentioned I should upgrade lighting first or I may have algae issues. But I know you run a Finnex Planted Plus with co2 injection. Are you having algae problems, Jswin?

15. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

AndyVE covered the atomizer and reactor.

I think you can get a spliter if you are using one regulator and one needle valve. But I am not sure about that. This is what I have been using for what use to be a 220 gallon, and has been downsized to a 125. I also use it for a 29. I run 2 lines into the larger tank, and 1 to the 29.

I am also not sure if using 2 lines would have to be done with a 75. Maybe someone with a similar size tank can help with that for sure.

16. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Well I still haven't completely gotten rid of the algae I got when I went out of town for a week and my co2 ran out before I got back. But before that I didn't have an issue

17. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Dom90 For what it is worth, I think you should really try and fix the algae problem you are having with the set up you have right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't been keeping fish that long, let alone a planted tank. I'm not at all trying to discourage you, but sometimes it's easier in the long run to take things a bit slower. Adding more light and CO2 can be nice, or a disaster. You have a nice set up now. Fixing the algae issue will give you some knowledge and experience for a high tech set up. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

18. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's not really that I have an algae problem, per se. It's more diatoms. You are correct that this is my first planted tank but as for fishkeeping, I'll be going on my 4th year in a couple months.

19. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I agree with BDpups making the leap into high tech can be challenging. It leaves very little wiggle room. You have to stay on top of light amounts, CO2 levels, fertilization routines, etc. One mix up, or you forget something, and boom you have a ton of algae, or gassed out fish, or some other catastrophe.

What are you trying to accomplish? You can have a great, heavily planted tank, with tons of variety and colors, all without CO2 injection. I think many people get caught up in the fact that CO2 is some magic wand that will fix all their problems, or make my tank super awesome, when in reality, it can mean a lot more work and less room for error. When you can have a great tank without all that hassle, I don't see the need for the expense or headaches.

To each their own though.

20. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You both made good points about the challenges of going high tech/co2 injection. The thing that really bothers me is just like Dolfan said, if the co2 regulator or diffuser should somehow malfunction, the co2 levels would be dangerous for the fish and possibly kill them. So at this time, I'm probably just going to upgrade my lighting at this time on the recommendation of Dadio. I read somewhere that "With moderate lighting, some aquatic plants will grow noticeably more quickly than at low lighting levels, even if you do not add carbon dioxide." I'll see how plant growth goes with an upgraded light, hopefully plant growth is more robust. However, at this time I wont be getting co2 injection until I can get a better handle on high-low/low-medium planted setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice