Co2 Scheduling? Help

1. Alex6455

Alex6455 Member Member

I am going to set up a DIY co2 system, and was wondering when I should have it on. Would I have it on when my lights are one? Also, during the nighttime, would I just close the needle valve or stop the whole system? Thanks!

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on BPS, surface agitation, ect. If you have lots of surface agitation BPS can be quite high and turn CO2 on 30 minutes before lights come on. If you don't you'll want a slow ramp up with low BPS so turn on an hour or two before. You have to fine-tune it to your individual system. You need a drop checker to be able to fine tune your CO2.

I have mine at about 3 BPS with high surface agitation and I turn on 1 hour before. That gets my drop checker to a nice yellow, which is just fine as I have lots of surface agitation, meaning lots of O2 is being exchanged into the water.

3. OP
    OP
    Alex6455

Alex6455 Member Member

Thanks for the info! I have my lights on a timer with 4 hours on, 4 off, and 4 on. I have read this helps with co2 "regenerating" (for a lack of a better word) during the 4 hours off, but with co2, would I need this? I cannot turn on my co2 before the second light period.