CO2 Question

1. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

:;f I've moved your question to its own thread for greater visibility. As for your question, it sounds as if you are getting enough CO2 gassed off overnight that you shouldn't need to worry about it. One thing you need to be concerned with is the snails. Snails do not fair well in a CO2 injected tank with the low pH values as it eats away at their shells. You will need to monitor the GH and KH levels to ensure both are at least 4 degrees/drops. Hope this helps.

2. Mark S Member Member

Ya I noticed the kH was down to 1 dkh yesterday, with a water change I got it up to 3. Snails are pond snales that hitched a ride so I'm not worried about them Thanks Mark

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

KH is too low to hold the pH more stable. As you are need to better stabilize the tank, I'd recommend taking steps to raise your KH to at least 4 dKH. This will stop the wide pH swings that can have a negative affect on fish.

4. Mark S Member Member

Guess I'll have to start the baking soda as my tap is 3 dkh. I need to get things stabilized before I put fish in The tank or move the plants and CO2 to the 55g. Yesterday I switched to a sponge filter instead of the stone to see what happens and my pH only raised .2 ppm, is that good or do I want to airout the CO2 more at night? Thanks

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Baking soda is extremely tricky as a few grains can have quite an effect. Mix it outside your tank so that you can dose in drops. Another option is to add a few tablespoons of crushed coral to your filter.

To stabilize the tank you will want the pH to not change more than 0.4 degrees. The 1.0+ swing you are currently getting will be very difficult on fish. Start by raising the KH. If you are still getting a larger swing, then we can look at other options to stabilize the tank.

6. Mark S Member Member

You know I knew that and dosed the baking soda hard like I use to dose the 55g when it was ACFs before I switched to seachem regulators, but this is the 10g (dahh). Thankfully I have no fish in it. 2 tbs and it brought the kH up to 9 dkh and 8.0 pH so I'll see what its reading mid day tomarrow. Don't have no coral on hand but I do have seashells and cuttle bone, will either work or should I get some coral? I noticed that I can adjust the bubbles per second by raising or lowering the pond pump thats defusing the CO2, I knew depth made a diff but not that much.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Or start a nano reef! Just add salt :giggle:

I don't know what Dena's thoughts are, but I keep my FW planted at 3dKH, 4 would be better, but, IMO I think your tap water would be fine the way it is. (3dKH gives me a pH of about 7.4 with a daily fluctuation down to around 7/7.2)

Dena - your thoughts?

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Luckily you do not have fish or inverts (that you care about) in that tank. That is enough of a change to kill everything! This is why I suggested mixing some up in water so you can dose by the drop. But, now that you've done this, use it as an experiment. Monitor your pH just before lights on and just after lights off. And, you will need to take some tank water out, add to a bucket, and aerate to gas off all CO2 to know what the actual water's pH level is now.

In most cases 3 dKH is acceptable; however, not when the pH swings as much as the OPs tank. 6.4 to 7.6 in a 24 hour period. That is too drastic for live fish. I am thinking that either the dKH is too low or too much CO2 is going into the tank. The only way to know if too much CO2 is to raise the hardness parameters and then monitor pH.

As there are no fish in the tank, it is much easier to run through these tests to work through what's up. For example, the plants may not yet be growing strong and taking in all that much CO2.

9. Mark S Member Member

Before I left this morning I changed out about 4 gallons with water from my fish tank and kH was still 8, didn't even think of testing the pH not that I had the time. I just picked a plant package and the plants are young. I'll do more w/c tonight from the ACFs tank and get the #'s down I still have the old water in the bucket so I'll air it and check out how high the ph really went.

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Totally agree Dena - I thought it important to mention my pH swings (max 0.4 in a day) for comparison.

Mark - follow along with Dena on this one - she's giving you great advice.

11. Mark S Member Member

Will do

12. Mark S Member Member

So got home and in a hurry and dumped the water I pulled out of the tank this morning and did a 4 gallon change, forgot all about airing and testing the water. pH is now 7.2 ppm & kH is 6dkh so getting down to 4 dkh

13. Mark S Member Member

I started my second bottle Tuesday and it bubbles 1 bubble about every second but every 4-5 seconds it rapid fires bubbles, about 6 in the bubble checker bottle but at the pump thats chopping the bubbles it sounds like maybe 20 bubbles. All my plants are doing good so it's not hurting anything I think. I have a drop checker coming so when I get it I guess I'll see. Has anyone else had this happen?

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, that is a common thing. Be aware that a drop checker monitors pH and is not immediate. It takes close to 2 hours to level out.

15. Mark S Member Member

Ok thanks, drop checker should arrive tomarrow. Still no fish in the planted tank, but I've been sweeping the gravel in the fish tank and using some of that for water changes to keep it cycled.