Co2 potentially out of balance in shrimp tank

Ryan921

Reaction score
Hows it going, guys? Thanks in advance for any insight or direction!

I've recently picked back up the hobby of fish keeping & decided to try my hand at aquascaping. I naturally complicated things by purchasing crystal red shrimp without first fully (or remotely) grasping the art of aquascaping, which has surprisingly been working out pretty well all things considered. Nonetheless, I've been quarantined for Covid19 at my house for almost two weeks now, sick, & as a result nearly all my attention has gone to the tank.

As I'm sure many of you more experienced guys will tell me, that much attention isn't necessarily a good thing for a tank, but I'm just trying to stay sane here (not that I'd call that a viable excuse). I have found myself infatuated with the whole experience, and jumped the gun ordering more plants, & my naivety may have lead me into some trouble. Please don't be too hard on me here, I got overzealous & feel a bit foolish being that my chief concern is the tank inhabitants & plants.

I can't leave the house, and I'm beginning to worry my plants aren't getting enough Co2 but amazon won't deliver me what I'd need to test the water anytime soon. Additionally, community/planted my tank is overstocked & another plant is on the way that cannot be canceled. I have a much larger tank at my parents place a few miles up the road, but I can't get there until I'm clear of this virus because they're elderly. Even when I do, I have to re-seal the tank before I can use it, let alone cycle it. Here is what I have going on;

• 30 gal bow front planted tank with substantial filtration (comfortably enough for a 100 gallon tank), moderate to high lighting & the tank has been fully cycled.

Fish
- 6 juvenile blue eyed fork tail rainbow fish (about .75-1")
- 12 guppies (who are basically having a non-stop orgy) & few came pregnant, birthing the day after being added

Invertebrates

- 3 juvenile red racer nerite snails
- 15 juvenile crystal red shrimp
- 5 juvenile blue dream shrimp

Plants

- Java fern on driftwood
- Java moss randomly throughout (not growing much)
- Dwarf hairgrass
- Giant hairgrass
- 3 Marimo moss balls
- Some plants my girlfriend picked out from the shop before quarantine that I don't have the acumen to identify cogently
- small Anubis on lava rock coming tomorrow by mail

• 55 gal standard non planted tank substantial filtration (comfortable enough for a 150 gallon)

Fish
- 2 Red bellied piranha 6"-8"
- 1 Tiger Oscar 10"

Additionally I've got a 1.5 gallon quarantine tank and a 5 gallon bucket with a small filter for a back-up quarantine, however the 1.5 has some of the baby guppies in it that would be eaten if added to either tank.

Now my plan is to pick up the 75 gallon I have at my parents place, re-seal it, get a new filter and cycle it asap. After I do that I'm likely going to move the fish in my 55 to it, even though I'd rather aquascape the bigger one, because this Oscar came with the 55 I bought a month and a half ago & I think he's too big for it. Once I do this, I can spread out the fish in my 30 to the 55 and separate the male/female guppies. Any suggested adjustments to this plan are appreciated being that most of you likely know more than I do.

The plants and fish all seem ok for now, despite slow growth and being kinda cramped. (I have flourish tabs in the substrate/sand) However, I did more research and I'm concerned about the Co2 levels in my planted tank.

Will this be ok as is for another couple weeks until I get the larger tank set up?

Do I need to find a way to get ahold of some Co2 faster?

What should I look out for in terms of the sustaining this until then, & are there any adjustments I can/should make between A & B?

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
CO2 is rarely necessary, unless you have some really high demand plants. I don't know what others have experienced but I've never had neocaridina breed in a tank with CO2, I don't think they like the PH fluctuations.

OP
R

Ryan921

Reaction score
Inner10 said:
CO2 is rarely necessary, unless you have some really high demand plants. I don't know what others have experienced but I've never had neocaridina breed in a tank with CO2, I don't think they like the PH fluctuations.
Thanks for the insight. Before I moved I only kept predatory fish tanks, & though I had about 5 tanks running for a couple years all this community tank/shrimp stuff is overwhelmingly more complex given all the disjointed info online. I used to rely heavily on this breeder who lived down the street from me then, & trying to figure out what I actually need for this new stuff on my own hasn’t exactly been a cakewalk.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Ryan921 said:
Thanks for the insight. Before I moved I only kept predatory fish tanks, & though I had about 5 tanks running for a couple years all this community tank/shrimp stuff is overwhelmingly more complex given all the disjointed info online. I used to rely heavily on this breeder who lived down the street from me then, & trying to figure out what I actually need for this new stuff on my own hasn’t exactly been a cakewalk.
I'm in the same boat, I only speak from my very limited experience, I'm not a biologist or anyone even reasonably qualified.

New Threads