Co2 Kill Fish?

1. Rosa Jacoby

Rosa Jacoby New Member Member

Will a CO2 infuser (DIY) negatively affect my fish? Is it possible to kill your fish from too much CO2 in the water? Do I need to regulate the amount of CO2 in my tanks depending on the amount of plants to avoid harming my fish? Do I need to be worried about this?

Haha sorry for a lot of questions but you get the gist

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

In a nutshell, yes! Too much CO2 will kill your fish and you do need to regulate it. What kind of a setup are you hoping to have? What kind of plants? How much are you willing to spend?

Advertisement

3. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I had 24 calico BN pleco, I put half in a CO2 tank and half in a non Co2 tank. These were all from the same spawn, the half in the CO2 tank were half the size of the non Co2 tank in 8 months, I had 50 nerite snail and split them, the CO2 tank killed it's 25 snails in 3 days and the non CO2 tank had 3 loses total over a month period. The CO2 tank had a ph regulator and the plant grew VERY WELL. I think the use of CO2 is hard on some types of aquatic life, even throw my cardinal tetras and rummynose did well. When you think about it, your pumping toxins into your tank! Good for the plants,rough on the fish. The first picture is a CO2 tank, the second is non CO2. DSCN4475.JPG DSCN4477.JPG

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Hello, thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to make a DIY CO2 reactor. !st bottle with yeast and sugar (I think), 2nd with water. Just very simple and cheap. I only have a few small plants currently but it's because they keep getting covered in algae, not growing, and dying. I've done every thinkable thing apart from trying CO2, so hopefully it works!! I want my 150litre to be lush and heavily planted. Not sure the names of the plants, but bright green and easy to grow from local fish store

5. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

WWWWOOOOOOWWWW your tanks look so amazing!! This is my goal!! Yeah I guess I will do a bit of research into types of fish and their tolerance to CO2. I only have guppies and mollies currently, do you think they would be alright in a CO2 infused tank? I recently got rid of some angelfish because my plants wouldn't grow and the tank was barren with no hiding places...

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yes you can kill fish with too much CO2 but if you use the correct mix your DIY generator will never produce so much CO2 as to kill all your fish. I used the DIY co2 yeast method for 1-2 months and difussed it using a powerhead. I would just uncap it at night. Fish never died and plants did well.

7. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I find the secret to growing most plants is good lighting, I use nothing but Fluval 2.0 plant lights and fish poop:) no ferts!

DSCN4466.JPG DSCN4476.JPG

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Thats amazing, if i were doing a planted set up id follow your instructions your tanks are like an under water jungle !!!

9. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Advertisement