CO2 IS WORKING, UPDATE 1-15-07-5.5 gallon nano planted tank

Discussion in 'atmmachine816' started by atmmachine816, Jul 7, 2006.

1. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok so as you know my mom let me setup my sisters 2.5 gallon mini-bow tank.  It is currently inhabitited by one golded mystery snail.  Hopefully someday I'll get a betta in there too.  In the mean time I'm planting it.  I have a 10w compact fluescent bulb, 25w heater, Lee's corner filter and the finishes off my equipment.  I'm looking around for a good co2 DIY mixture but haven't found one yet, my last couple weren't good and I had leaks.  Help there is appreciated if you have one.  I'm dosing liquid ferts also once a week and just have regular gravel though.  I currently have some anarchis, one crypt, and one twisted val.  I'm hoping to get possibly a banana plant soon, some cambomba, and maybe some anubias or crypt.  So far the tank is up a running with the val planted but the crypt floating and getting used to the tank and the anarchis floating also but growing.  Comments are welcomed.  I have one question though, I can't add the betta because my nitrites are too high.  I've never had this problem before so can somebody tell me how to lower them, is it by daily water changes?  Thanks

Cheers ;D Austin

2. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Re: 2.5 gallon heavily planted tank

Sonds good. I'm not sure about the nitrites. But I'd keep doing water changes.

Can't wait to see pics.

Gwenz

3. fish_r_friend

fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0

atm dosen't have a digital camera so he cant get pics. any

4. Boxermom

BoxermomValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0

Daily water changes and treat the water with something like Prime which detoxifies the nitrites.

5. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Got them down. My plants are all planted now. I'm looking around currently for a co2 mixture and hopefully might have that up and running soon. And yes no digital camera, working on getting one though, maybe for my b-day.

6. Boxermom

BoxermomValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0

CO2 for a 2.5 gallon tank? That'll be a bit tricky if you want an injection system. I just use Flourish Excel instead. There are a couple of kits that can be purchased pretty cheap but I wouldn't use one in such a small tank.

7. fish_r_friend

fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0

atm, make sure that you don't have tons of Co2 bubbles injected in thee tank or you Ph and O2 levels will be totaled

8. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Thanks, I know that. My mom doesn't want me to spend anymore money on the plants right now so I'm going to wait a few months then talk to her and possibly get the nutrafin kit. Nothing else has changed except I'm now running a very small sponge filter so I can change the filter media in the corner filter frequently and not worry about recycling my tank since the filter is clear and you can see the junk.

9. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

I got the betta, he's blue with a little red in him. He really likes the new tank and likes the snail.

10. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

As some of you know I haven't had good luck with the betta's so it turned into a quarintne tank and now I'm in the process of redoing it. Later this week I hope to have it under way. I hope to dry everything out except a tiny piece of anarchis and try to kill all the snails but still have some anarchis. Don't worry the snail will be in a temporary tank though and the crypt will have a bleach bath. I do have a new filter elite stingray filter and I love it. I'm debating what to do with the tank though and what to put in it, I'm leaning towards some african dwarf frogs if there availbale but not sure what i'm gona do if there not.

11. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Well I have weeded out all by one tiny strand of anarchis and this weekend I'm going to redo the tank and look to see if my lfs can get some adf.

12. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Today I took done the 2.5 and am drying out all the equipment to kill the snails and put the mystery snail in a small tank with a airstone along with my crpyt and a small piece of anarchis in it.

13. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

I have finished seting back up this tank and must say it looks better than before, all I have to do is wait for the anarchis to start growing again and get some more plants. The mystery snail is still alive but not as active as it used to be. So far so good.

14. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Week later it's all good, crypt and anarchis growing well, no pond snails, just waiting to get some more plants. No algae so far either

15. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

I now have a forest of hornwort, some anarchis, and a crypt with hopefully some pics soon if my dad will buy a camera ;D

16. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Re: 2.5 gallon amusement park

I'v decided to make my 2.5 gallon tank look like an amusement park, going up to the lfs today to see what I can use but this was inspired by a persons golf course planted tank. All comments are welcomed on this and plant suggestions are welcomed, will update when I go there later today.

17. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Well the ferris wheel will cost me 12.58$. There's a red and blue one. this is what it looks like I was thinking maybe putting this in the center of the tank, having some anarchis, combomba, or hornwort in the back like a forest or something else suggestions welcomed with some dwarf hairgrass or other smaller tall skinny plant to form a walkway to it in the front and another on the side for an exit with some sort of plants on the front right and left of the tank, haven't dicided yet and maybe some marimo balls on the seats if that would be possibly probably not and maybe some shrimp and a betta.

What do you guys think and suggestion comments?

Austin

18. Stradius011

Stradius011Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Whoa cool! ;D I think it'll look great! What is the ferris wheel made of?

19. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

plastic, though I'm debating on the plant combination and looking for any suggestions. I'm not sure what exactly else to put in it either if any other decorations would look nice, maybe a funny figurine or something. I saw a movable octupus that looked kinda cool though not sure how I could tie it in with the theme. Maybe have it be like the octupus ferris wheel ;D ???

20. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

If all goes well I should be getting a 5.5 and selling my 2.5 thus giving me more room for another ride or two.

Become a Fishlore Member