Co2 For 14 Gallon?

1. japswe Initiate Member

I've set up a 14 gallon medium planted tank and looking into the best option for CO2 injectors. Wondering if the tank is small enough to just use air pump/air stone or if there is CO2 option that won't be overkill. Tank has very good lighting for the plants. Thanks

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

An air stone would work fine. I think CO2 is overpriced. I have a lushly planted 29 gallon and I only use airstones.

3. japswe Initiate Member

Should I have more than one airstone? I have a small one in but not sure if more would irritate my ram. The neon tetras seem to love it though

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Airstones actually aren't good for planted tanks, as they help to gas off the CO2 dissolved in the water that was produced by the fish. For most tanks, they won't really harm the plants, but they can in heavily planted tanks. Airstones are also not a substitute for injected CO2, but you can have a lush and heavily planted tank without injecting CO2.

5. FIghtingj Member Member

Try an air wall. It may help by not hitting stuff in the middle.

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I have never added CO2 and I never will. I have a lushly plant tank that has never seen a CO2 infuser, and has been going strong for over a year planted.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

My point exactly, you don't need injected CO2 to have a healthy, happy, planted tank.

8. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

You don't need CO2 in most cases, but if you have high lights without CO2 there will be algae, guaranteed.

OP, air stones push CO2 out of the water because of the surface agitation, so in the end they will not help.

9. Culprit Well Known Member Member

If you want co2 in a planted tank it will make the plants grow better, look nicer, and be generally healthier. However, you can have a low tech planted tank, with no co2, that is very lush and thriving. But, for high light, Co2 injection is a must. Depending on your lighting I would say you don't need it. But, if you do, then there are two options. DIY and buying kits. There are a few options for diy, there is the yeast (don't recommend), citric acid, and paintball. OF those, I would suggest the paintball as its cheap, and you get pressurized. All in all you will spend about $80 for the paintball, $10 to $20 with the citric acid, and mabye $5 with the yeast. I would not at all go with the yeast, as its unreliable, and you can't adjust it at all. I have had it so I know about it. Citric acid would be my next best aside from the paintball, as you can more or less adjust it, and can turn it on and off. Of those three though, go with paintball. Its pressurized, lasts for 4 or 5 months at 1 or 2 bps, and you can have a solenoid ect on it. Plus refills are about $5.

10. tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Fluval 88 kit: Fluval Pressurized 88g-CO2 Kit - 3.1 Ounces Amazon.com : Fluval Pressurized 88g-CO2 Kit - 3.1 Ounces : Aquariums : Pet Supplies
    This adapter: Hydra Aquatic CO2 Paintball Adapter Amazon.com : Hydra Aquatic CO2 Paintball Adapter : Pet Supplies
    This tank: Empire Paintball 24oz CO2 Tank Amazon.com : Empire Co2 Tank : Paintball Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Solenoid: Milwaukee Instruments MA955 Solenoid Valve for Co2 Dosing Milwaukee Instruments MA955 Solenoid Valve for Co2 Dosing: Science Lab Multiparameter Meters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

6$ to fill both 24 oz tanks at Academy Sporting Goods.