Co2 dropped ph by .6?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by jlm418, Jul 5, 2016.

1. j

jlm418 Valued Member Member

Wife's tank was around eight on ph. Hooked up a co2 generator to help. It dropped .6 over night. Is it because of the co2?

2. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Yes. CO2 injection causes a pH drop because CO2 and H2O creates carbonic acid. This does get absorbed by plants and the tank's pH will return to 8.0 after injection stops. Your fish are generally safe from the drop because of carbonate hardness remaining constant, which is the crucial bit.

I'm assuming you are injecting to help plants?

3. OP
    OP
    j

Yeah plus i knew it would drop ph. But I had a bubble curtain going with it all night. So I didn't think it would drop quite so much. Was just looking for some reassurance

4. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Glad you were running the curtain as plants produce CO2 without light for photosynthesis.

I assume it's a DIY that can't be shut off? I'm always leary on those because I can't regulate them. I don't run CO2 myself, but have looked into them for a future build

5. OP
    OP
    j

I set one up with an extra bottle for a bubble counter so I know what going in or at least close. But they aren't bad. Mine runs for like two weeks and stays pretty constant. Been looking into a citric acid set up instead of yeast. Its a chemical reaction so the flow should always be constant.

And no shut off on the yeast set up. Do run a bubble at night. Chemical reaction you can shut off at night tho

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice