Co2 Diffusing Idea

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Last time I tried to use CO2 it accomplished very little - the CO2 came out as bubbles that quickly reached the surface and were wasted. Thus, I have another idea I wanted to run by you guys.

I noticed that the wooden chopsticks I am using to diffuse the CO2 produce the needed fine bubbles only at low pressures, so I am going to try to split the CO2 flow with a gang valve, resulting in two or more lower pressure CO2 lines from the same bottle. My idea is that this will allow me to more efficiently dissolve the CO2. How does this sound? Thanks :)

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of diffuser were you using originally? Also, water flow is an important part of CO2 injection, especially if using an in-tank diffuser. You want the diffuser placed on the opposite side of the tank from the filter inlet such that the water flows across the surface, down the far side, across the diffuser, across the bottom of the tank, and to the filter inlet. This will carry the CO2 bubbles across the bottom of the tank and disperse them evenly so they don't just float to the top.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Another wooden chopstick...can you explain what you said a bit? Do you mean having a pump direct water over the diffusor, and then have a second, lower pump pump water back to the other side?

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why not just get an actual ceramic diffuser?

Not a pump, just aim the filter output across the long dimension of the tank to create a rotational water movement throughout the tank. Like this: How to distribute CO2 optimally

A little trickier if you're using an HOB.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can use a ceramic diffuser...I think I thought that the amount of CO2 I was trying to use did not generate enough pressure for the ceramic diffuser to work.

I don't like HOB's anyway, so I have no issue using something else.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am not sure that a gang valve will work to split pressure...Few years back, when I was hatching brine shrimp eggs, I tried to split the airline into two hatching bottles so I can use only one air pump. To my surprise, only one line was bubbling. I tried to make the two tubes equal, water level same...it was a struggle to make them both work the same.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom