Co2 diffuser near powerhead?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i didnt really know where to put my diffuser. i think it said on the opposide end of the filters because it would just suck it out of the water. but what if its near a powerhead under the water? currently my powerhead is clearly sucking up some co2 myst not all but i can see it happening, is this a problem even though the co2 is still in the water? i have a pre sponge on my powerhead

yes thats a bottle of ice, hoping to cool down the water which isnt actually doing much. perhaps i should use multiple small bottles instead of this one. anyway co2 diffuser :p

Attachments

kdub

Reaction score
Nice looking tank you got! It’s ok if some of the co2 bubbles get sucked up into the filter. The main thing is that you want to make sure the diffuser is as deep as possible, since the co2 will be absorbed into the water as the bubbles make their way to the surface. Where you currently have it is great, might want to go even lower if you can.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kdub said:
Nice looking tank you got! It’s ok if some of the co2 bubbles get sucked up into the filter. The main thing is that you want to make sure the diffuser is as deep as possible, since the co2 will be absorbed into the water as the bubbles make their way to the surface. Where you currently have it is great, might want to go even lower if you can.
i currently have my diffuser at the buttom of my tank close to the substrate with my powerhead above it while i have the flow at an downward but close to level angel. most of the co2 mist bubbles are getting sucked in and pushed down instead of just floating to the top to deal with my hob filters output

edit: updated photo

oh and thanks @kdub for the compliment on my tank. its nice to know i do some things right

IMG_20200629_115754902.jpg

thats not as updated as me moving the powehead direction downwards :p

kdub

Reaction score
Hey it looks even better with that dwarf sag spread out!! Lol but yeah it is still ok that the bubbles are getting sucked up. The whole point is to have the bubbles in the water for as long as possible to maximize co2 absorption into the water, so if anything the fact that those bubbles are detoured into your filter is just resulting in slightly more co2 absorption. You got this

New Threads