Co2 And Multiple Aquariums

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tiny_Tanganyikans, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Currently I run dedicated reactors into every planted aquarium.

I just set up a new rack of 6 aquariums ranging from 20g-85g they overflow into each other and then into a large sump that doubles as a goldfish pond and hydroponic garden. If I run a reactor into the outflow will the co2 dissipate before reaching the last aquarium? I'd imagine all the overflows will gas off too much and it would be less efficient to run a single reactor rather than dedicated lines into each aquarium. I have a bunch of diffusers and can run lines into each aquarium but I'm wondering which would be best effective? The way it's set up it will be a headache to break it down and fix it so I'd rather just do it the most effective to begin with.

Thoughts?

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

You are correct in that you would have quite a bit of off-gassing before the water reached the final tank. But with 6 tanks, why are you not running a tank/regulator setup. You would have a little initial investment but save all the hassle of mixing stuff for 6 reactors and constantly having to check and see if they have run out, etc. I would get a tank and regulator and just have a 6 output splitter to send CO2 into each tank. Or maybe just split it 3 ways, into the 1st, 3rd, and 5th tank.

Here is a link to a good article from plantedtank that breaks down CO2 pretty well and may help you figure out what you need if you did want to convert over.

3. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

I've decided to just do a dry run with a single reactor and made two quick drop checkers for the sump and last aquarium. All the plants and livestock are currently sitting in totes so Im kinda excited to move forward with this.

I'm also considering plumbing a reactor into each overflow as I don't like using glass diffusers. I have plenty of spare pvc

4. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

I have multiple aquariums running off a 20lb tank and another 10lb tank that originally was using paintball tanks. They're already split.. I was considering running one single reactor to this new setup or splitting lines for every aquarium.

I mean I'm already running co2 to 16 aquariums between my two co2 setups. I'm adding 6 more but these are going to be filtered by one sump

5. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Oh I see what you are saying, I thought you had 6 DIY reactors going, which would be a pain. Perhaps just upgrade that 10lb tank to a 20lb, and you could run additional tanks off it. I think you need the separate lines for each tank. If you ran the 1 main reactor, the first tank would have tons of CO2 and it would be much depleted by the time that water go to the 6th tank.

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You can buy regulators with more then one output valve thingy so I would buy one of them and have 6 different individual lines runiing to my tanks. Or maybe buy a 2nd co2 cannister an run 2 tanks from 1 bottle and the other 4 from the 2nd.

7. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

Yes this is how I have my current setup, instead of multiple outputs, I have a manifold with multiple regulators which some have multiple valves. But currently each aquarium I inject co2 in has its own dedicated line because it's not on a shared system. They have independent filters, as each aquarium has different temperatures and parameters. This system is going to all be the same, cool water with a pH of about 6 so I'm running them all through the same filter. So by tomorrow morning I will check the drop checkers and see how much co2 is lost by time it gets to the end of the line. I'm curious now that I'm thinking about it if this could create future unforseen problems with water instability.

I will most likely just run dedicated lines to each aquarium. I will just install a couple more valves so I'm not overdosing the smaller aquariums I suppose. It's certainly more tricky than I thought it would be.

8. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

Update;

So running the single reactor actually doesn't seem to be horrible.

I plumbed each overflow about 4" below the surface, each overflow dumps into the aquarium below and I made outflow pipes out of pvc elbows and they're below the surface of the next aquarium.

The flow goes in this order: 20 long> 20 long> 33 long> 40 breeder> 55 gallon> 85 gallon> 105 gallon sump

I taped off the wet/dry trickle towers so that they were air tight and added custom cut lids out of acrylic to all aquariums. After 48 hours I'm running 6 bps to get ~30ppm co2. Which seems a lot better than what I use in smaller aquariums, which is surprising and led me to investigate why i have so much co2 loss. I do have 3 hobs running in the aquariums for surface agitation and for growing plants. I have two powerheads running independent filters for extra filtration since it will be heavily stocked.

I have pothos, bamboo, climbing ivy, and some bromeliads growing emmersed. I planted dwarf hairgrass, some chain sword, baby tears, utricularia graminifolia, flame/spikey/christmass moss, and some s repens.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice