Clueless Here

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm getting a 20 gallon tank that will have 6 Neon Tetras, 6 guppies, and a total of 6 cory catfish.
I was panning on using this substrate for the tank as I plan on keeping live plants in the tank. Will this work well with keeping them healthy?
Screenshot_20190305-151341.jpg
Someone suggested sand for the tank because of the corys but will this work well for them too?
I'm also planning on having live plants in a 5 gallon with a single betta fish. Any suggestions for substrate on that? I was considering sand but should i use something more like what i have listed above?

CoryB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I'm getting a 20 gallon tank that will have 6 Neon Tetras, 6 guppies, and a total of 6 cory catfish.
I was panning on using this substrate for the tank as I plan on keeping live plants in the tank. Will this work well with keeping them healthy?
View attachment 534717
Someone suggested sand for the tank because of the corys but will this work well for them too?
I'm also planning on having live plants in a 5 gallon with a single betta fish. Any suggestions for substrate on that? I was considering sand but should i use something more like what i have listed above?
I don't think the "eco-complete planted" is necessary. I use the CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my tank and I just place root tabs in the sand around my plants and everything is doing just fine.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think the "eco-complete planted" is necessary. I use the CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my tank and I just place root tabs in the sand around my plants and everything is doing just fine.
i just liked the way it looked honestly and it had good ratings. so i defintiely need root tabs then- thank you! ill pick some up when i got to buy more plants later this week

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive never used it but if its not sand or a clay based substrate i wouldnt use it with corys.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don’t waste your money on the eco. Regular 1/8” gravel or sand will work fine. If these are your first tanks gravel is the easiest. It’s easier to vacuume clean and doesn’t have dead spots. Also fine for Cory’s. Eco is sharp and not great for Cory’s. Root tabs and liquid ferts will be needed for plants.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you are planning to grow live plants then I would recommend going along with the Walsta Method. In the method both plants and fish equal out. I would suggest using the soil your showed, but, "capping" the soil with about 1.5 in. of gravel( Natural color looks better) and add about and in. of soil below the gravel. Let the plants establish them selves for about a monty or 2 and then add your fish. I Hope this was helpful.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don’t waste your money on the eco. Regular 1/8” gravel or sand will work fine. If these are your first tanks gravel is the easiest. It’s easier to vacuume clean and doesn’t have dead spots. Also fine for Cory’s. Eco is sharp and not great for Cory’s. Root tabs and liquid ferts will be needed for plants.
It's not my first tank,technically. i went ahead and bought some sand for them. I'm getting a betta for a 5gal tank and was considering some "
Mr. Aqua N-MAR-066 1 L Fine Pet Habitat Water Plant Soil" because it has good reviews but i think now ill just pick up some sand for the betta tank as well when i got to buy the plants.
my hospital tank has gravel in it however, though im considering leaving that bare bottom

If you are planning to grow live plants then I would recommend going along with the Walsta Method. In the method both plants and fish equal out. I would suggest using the soil your showed, but, "capping" the soil with about 1.5 in. of gravel( Natural color looks better) and add about and in. of soil below the gravel. Let the plants establish them selves for about a monty or 2 and then add your fish. I Hope this was helpful.
So go with an inch of the soil and then putting gravel? could i use sand instead of the gravel? i really want to get away from gravel altogether if possible

Last edited by a moderator:

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sure you can use sand instead of gravel!! The only reason you use gravel is to stop the soil from mixing into the water. Off you need any more advice just ask!! I hope this was helpful!!

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really recommend sand instead of gravel. Sand is a far superior substrate to put plants in since you can stick a plant in the sand and it won't come back up. Gravel is a different story. Be prepared for plants to keep uprooting. Sand also keeps the soil from mixing with the water. Soil usually comes up through the gravel holes over time and will escape into the water column.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really recommend sand instead of gravel. Sand is a far superior substrate to put plants in since you can stick a plant in the sand and it won't come back up. Gravel is a different story. Be prepared for plants to keep uprooting. Sand also keeps the soil from mixing with the water. Soil usually comes up through the gravel holes over time and will escape into the water column.
i was planning on using sand tbh, i want to get away from gravel. i have it but have a **** of a time cleaning it since food sinks way down under it and makes a mess. Plus sand just looks better?

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree, just for newby fish keeper gravel is better, now I’m not saying your newby!! I just saying that if you choose white sand you can see the waste more clearly, if you choose black sand you can’t see it that easily. But your right, sand looks better!!!

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree, just for newby fish keeper gravel is better, now I’m not saying your newby!! I just saying that if you choose white sand you can see the waste more clearly, if you choose black sand you can’t see it that easily. But your right, sand looks better!!!
I'm somewhat of a newbie, but not enough of one to keep gravel- i hate how food and gunk gets trapped under it. And considering theyre my 10 year olds fish and she tends to put too much food in in an attempt to feed the neon tetras... well, alot of food ends up trapped in there and i end up vacuuming more than i should have too.
I've been debating black or white sand. I think I want to do white sand in my betta tank and black in my 20gal, esp since the substrate ill use under the sand is black. Though i might also put the black eco plant substrate in both tanks tbh, and use black sand in both. I'm planning on a lighter colored betta so he'd pop real well against the black. i just like the crispness of the white sand? plus if its easier to see the waste, its easier to get out XD
i havent decided what color im going to go with tbh

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
View attachment 534717
This substrate is awesome for your plants, I use it as well and wouldn't use anything else. Just keep in mind that if you get this do not gravel vac or you will be tossing your money away. If you do vac you will be sucking up all the nutrients the plants need. Yes its fine for cories.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This substrate is awesome for your plants, I use it as well and wouldn't use anything else. Just keep in mind that if you get this do not gravel vac or you will be tossing your money away. If you do vac you will be sucking up all the nutrients the plants need. Yes its fine for cories.
I agree, the plants nutrients will be sucked up if the vacuum!!

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ah well i already put a thing layer of sand over it so its a bit too late now i suppose OTL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom