Clueless guppy breeder

kelacon
I got guppy fry!
There are 3.
I do not know what to do and I read but I saw that I transfered them to a big bowl (with aeration of coarse.)
I don't know what to do. I feed them crushed flakes after that.
Do they need their mother?
Am I missing anything important?

Advertisement
sirdarksol
They DO NOT need their mother. In fact, their mother will, likely as not, eat them. Crushed flakes are probably okay, but if you can get your hands on some brine shrimp, I would suggest doing so and feeding them that (it has more nutrients than flakes, which are mostly just low-nutrition fish-meal).
I'd add a bit of filtration. You can get an under-gravel filter that's made for small bowls. They run on aeration, so you can just put a diffuser on the end of your air hose and use that to run the UGF.

Good luck with your new babies

Advertisement
armadillo
Ow, Kelakon. That's the cutest thing I've heard in ages. But Sirdarksol is right. They need their mother like they need a hole in the head, to be blunt. Livebearer mothers are not reknown for their caring spirit, LOL. Imagine all these cute molly fry in therapy!

About the food. To be honest, I just feed them like I feed the other (quite varied), and they tend to get the uneaten stuff on the gravel. I always seem the browsing.

Allie
We start with a fry formula, then crushed flakes, blood worm etc...I hate fry formula. You have to put the "dust" right by the fry or they won't even know it's there...my yellow lab fry would hide when I'd put my hand in the tank to feed them. Suddenly you'd see all these little yellow fishies everywhere as soon as the hand was out.

COBettaCouple
..food - THE great motivator!

Advertisement

kelacon
Well, I change the water twice a week, and they seem to be ok.

sirdarksol
That's good.
"No amount of filtration will make up for a lack of water changes, but water changes can make up for a lack of filtration."
As long as you're not letting ammonia build up in the tank, there should be no problems.

alan l
all my fry want do is eat

COBettaCouple
have you gotten pics of them?

Advertisement

Sam Livingston
That's all any fry want to do ;D then again what else would they do? All can do is swim, eat, sleep, and look cute.

COBettaCouple
kelacon
I love my fry! Thy are one month old.

kelacon
Some more! the guppy gave birth again and just in time! I bought another tank for tha three and then the guppy gave birth! there were11 but 3 got eaten. I have 11 plus the 3 older ones. brothers and sisters!!!

Advertisement

armadillo
Congrats, Kelacon! Fry is cute, isn't it? My favorite phase is the 2.5 to 3 months old (just before you have to give them away to a pet shop)

COBettaCouple
cool. she'll probably drop at least 1 or 2 more times.. probably more.

kelacon
Well, the male is starting to chase her again, so I think they mated. It seems that the male entices her.The black dot is starting to grow again....O-

COBettaCouple
males like to chase the pregnant females.. to stress them and make them abort the fry - snacks.

Advertisement

kelacon
Abort? You mean dead? The fry comes out dead?

COBettaCouple
yea, that's what i've read. enough stress and she'll drop the fry early and they'll quickly become snacks to the other fish.

kelacon
Oh! Well, when does the color fo the males tail come out.
All the fry, 4 weeks and 1 week are still colorless.
My fry are hungry!
They still all seem female.

Callum The Cat
they grow slowly it might take about 6-8 months before there non-bite size and can live with there mothers

Peace Out Callum!

Advertisement

COBettaCouple
we had platy fry but I think with guppy fry you'll be able to see color, ID their gender and let them swim with the big gups at 2-3 months, depending on how they grow. food and room are big factors in the growth rate.

Oh! Well, when does the color fo the males tail come out.
All the fry, 4 weeks and 1 week are still colorless.
My fry are hungry!
They still all seem female.

kelacon
My problem. my first batch is bullying!
2 died of stress!
They are only 3 weeks different!

manjil
Does after giving birth the black spot of female guppy fades...

kelacon
The first batch killed 3 babies!

Advertisement

COBettaCouple
I think they need more room. their behavior seems to indicate it.

The first batch killed 3 babies!

kelacon
Oh come on..... there are more!
All the batches look female. When does the color of the male come?
There are now 18 babies! They all look female.
The latest batch is in an separate container. To avoid bullying. The first batch look so big!
That is why they bullied! I tried to put them in the big tank but they will die.
8o

kelacon
Um, its been a long time, but the fry are fully mature! The offspring gave birth and now they are still born. I bought a birthing tank but, they look weird. Green tummies. Weird. Maybe they are resting but, ?( Huh? Well, maybe they can still develop or something. What happened?

Skyline
Haha yeah, I separated my male from female during her pregnancy as to not stress her. She had fry in about a week or so.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RamRam12
Replies
Views
Jomolager
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies