Clowns in a 29 gallon

bane221

Reaction score
My 29 gallon is cycled and ready for some stocking. After we have read so much on fish, and decided never to try to get goldfish again, we think we would love loaches. How is a 29 gallon for a clown loach? We really want a dojo but we wouldn't mind both. Again, obviously we are new, though not unread, and just want to put our actual thoughts through the minds of experienced owners. Thanks!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How many clown loaches would you get? Because even 1 is too many for a 29 gallon tank. You could try and get some dwarf loaches, they only grow to about 2 inches each and here is a website that has a lot of info on them.
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki
hope it helps with your loach selection.
Just curious, what other fish would you be putting in the tank?
Tom

bane221

Reaction score
We're still debating what to put in there. Are Dojos ok for the 29 gallon? We have been exploring, quite endlessly, compatibility charts and fish profiles and such. There is a lot of information we've been keeping meticulous track of but at the same time we realize how opinions differ in certain areas. We simply want to do what's best for our fish and have an interesting aquarium. Hopefully we can find something in the loach department since they seem to be the personality of fish we would like. If we can, we're carefully looking at what to put with them.

mr. Clown Loach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have 3 lowns in a 29 gallon aquarium for now because they grow so slow but after about 5years im gonna get a a 150 g for them and some cichlids.But clowns do good in 29 gallon aquariums for quite a while

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a yoyo loach in my 29 gallon and he only gets about 6 inches. He is still really small right now (1.5 inches) but I was told he would not outgrow my tank. You may want to take a look at those. I think that they are pretty cool looking

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually Mr. Clown Loach they grow slowly, but not so slowly that after 5 years they'd be fine in anything less than a 55-75 gallon tank. After about a year or two they'd be needing something larger than a 29 gallon, since they are best kept in groups of 2-3. (In other words, they grow faster than what it sounds like you are suggesting if kept under proper conditions.)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My two went from 2 inches to over six inches in a years time and thats too big for a 29 gallon.
Most loaches have such a sweet nature and there are several types out there without crowding clowns in.
Carol

metal_fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a baby clown in my 30 gall how long can i keep him in there? im getting a 75 gallon in the about 2 years when i move out of my parents place.

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Clown loaches are best kept in groups of 2-3 and are VERY social little buggers. I would not suggest keeping just one. I also believe they do best in a tank with plenty of hiding places/line-of-sight breaking obstacles with very few other types of fishes in the tank. Butterfly had a very nice setup of clowns with just them and some large plecostomus in a large tank. She would have to give size again, I couldn't remember if it was a 75 gallon or not, but I think so.

Clowns aren't, in my opinion, good for community tanks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chief_waterchanger said:
Clown loaches are best kept in groups of 2-3 and are VERY social little buggers. I would not suggest keeping just one. I also believe they do best in a tank with plenty of hiding places/line-of-sight breaking obstacles with very few other types of fishes in the tank. Butterfly had a very nice setup of clowns with just them and some large plecostomus in a large tank. She would have to give size again, I couldn't remember if it was a 75 gallon or not, but I think so.

Clowns aren't, in my opinion, good for community tanks.
Yes it was a 75 gallon Huge piece of drift wood, lots of plants and rock caves. Their tank mates were black neons, green neons, koi angels and a Rhino plec. they ruled the tank at any given time they might just zoom out of nowhere and then disappear just as fast. They get to be very massive at 7 and 8 inches they were very heavy waste producers.
Clowns are very social fish, they sleep together, eat together and squabble together. They are amazing but they need a huge amount of room. In a couple of years they would have need an even bigger tank. I think theres pictures of them and their set-up in my gallery
carol

dtaylor85

Reaction score
I LOVE my clowns (I have 3) But I plan to get a much bigger tank, at least 150 gallon but probably bigger (probably dedicated to clowns and only clowns cause they're so cool) after I get out of school. I had a dojo for a while, but you really need to consider how quickly they grow. I also found that the dojo I had was a hyper-active, spastic, klutzy guy who specialized in tearing apart my tank decor with his crazy swimming habits (My dojo needed lots of room to swim). I think I lost my dojo because he was in a tank with warm water tropical fish and he prefers colder water. All that said I LOVE MY CLOWNS!!! Good luck with your decisions.

Nemo2

Reaction score
I also have to say that I love my clowns too! I have 2 in a 30 gallon tank, but they are still rather small fo clowns. I plan on getting them into a bigger tank when the time is right. I could watch those guys for hours. They are very comical, and sweet. I have two large pieces of drift wood and several plants in my tank, so they have a lot of places too hide. They LOVE the drift wood. good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom