Clownfish tankmates

Kitkat22

I have a saltwater tank ready for fish, I'm not sure how many gallons it is due to it being my first Hexagon shaped tank. It was gifted to me a long time ago, but I'm guessing its between 20 to 30 gallons. My plan is to put a pair of clownfish in it and since I believe it's to small for an anemone, I'd like to put maybe another fish or maybe something else depending on what yall think. It's not my first rodeo with saltwater aquariums, but it is with this shape of tank. I would love to get another puffer or long nose hawk fish, but I'm pretty sure a hawkfish wouldnt be happy in a round ish tank of this size. Any ideas of tank mates that would be happy in an aquarium like this with two clowns?

PeteStevers

You could make it a species tank with multiple clownfish. I saw one that had about a dozen black and white clowns along with several anemones. It was very cool looking. I think you could probably do an anemone in that tank. However, you definitely want to wait until your tank is mature (6-8 months).

saltwater60

You could do an anemone for sure. I’d do the two clowns and a goby.

Kitkat22

PeteStevers said:
You could make it a species tank with multiple clownfish. I saw one that had about a dozen black and white clowns along with several anemones. It was very cool looking. I think you could probably do an anemone in that tank. However, you definitely want to wait until your tank is mature (6-8 months).
The water is from another saltwater tank that is a few years old, so the water should be good. But the live rocks were pulled from storage and were dried out.

Also what kind of anemone would you recommend? In a little bit I'll give dimensions of the tank so yall can have an idea.

saltwater60 said:
You could do an anemone for sure. I’d do the two clowns and a goby.
You think so? I'll post the dimensions of the tank in a bit.

1 1/2 feet tall and 1foot and 4inches wide. It has 6 sides

saltwater60

Bubble ripped anemomes are the easiest. Also just because the water is a few years old doesn’t mean squat. Good bacteria don’t float in water. Tour tank has about zero good bacteria right now because the rock was dry. Is it live sand? If not get some live rock or live sand and start a cycle in the tank.

Kitkat22

Its crushed coral. And alright, thank you so much for the feed back

PeteStevers

Your tank seems to be about 40 gallons with those measurements if you don't already know. The pic doesn't look like a hexagon. Maybe its just the angle.

Kitkat22

PeteStevers said:
Your tank seems to be about 40 gallons with those measurements if you don't already know. The pic doesn't look like a hexagon. Maybe its just the angle.
I figured lol that's why I gave dimensions. But it honestly seems very small for 40, but then again, it is an odd shape lol

e_watson09

Definitely cycle this tank first, it'll take a month or more probably, old water and dried out rocks will not start your cycle. You can buy liverock to help push the process along faster. Saltwater fish are often more picky about the water parameters than freshwater fish.

I believe this tank is actually only an 8g tank if I understand the dimensions correctly. Here's a link to a similar sized one to show the dimensions.

You could probably get away with a pair of angels and an anenome. I probably wouldn't add any other fish. You can probably get away with small shrimp, little crabs, etc tho

NeoGlow 8 Gallon Orange Hexagon Tank Kit @ Fish Tanks Direct

Kitkat22

Hand on it (7in)

e_watson09 said:
Definitely cycle this tank first, it'll take a month or more probably, old water and dried out rocks will not start your cycle. You can buy liverock to help push the process along faster. Saltwater fish are often more picky about the water parameters than freshwater fish.

I believe this tank is actually only an 8g tank if I understand the dimensions correctly. Here's a link to a similar sized one to show the dimensions.

You could probably get away with a pair of angels and an anenome. I probably wouldn't add any other fish. You can probably get away with small shrimp, little crabs, etc tho

NeoGlow 8 Gallon Orange Hexagon Tank Kit @ Fish Tanks Direct
Definitely not 8 gallons for sure lol but I definitely plan to picking up some live rock to start

My hand is about 6 1/2inches. Lol I don't know if these pictures help with size ideas

e_watson09

Is your dimensions going from furthest edge to edge? Like measure across the center at the top. Or is your width dimension based on the single side?

Kitkat22

e_watson09 said:
Is your dimensions going from furthest edge to edge? Like measure across the center at the top. Or is your width dimension based on the single side?
A single side is about 10inches and the width is side to side (not being the farthest corner)

e_watson09

Okay that makes more sense. I was going to say the icey hot bottle in the photo looks small for it to be an 8g.

So its about 20 gallon based on the calculation I did.

You could probably do a pair of clowns, maybe a clown goby or something else really small then some various inverts

Kitkat22

e_watson09 said:
Okay that makes more sense. I was going to say the icey hot bottle in the photo looks small for it to be an 8g.

So its about 20 gallon based on the calculation I did.

You could probably do a pair of clowns, maybe a clown goby or something else really small then some various inverts
Am I correct about an anemone? Cuz anemones can grow pretty big and I'm not planning to upgrade, or at least not for years.

e_watson09

Kitkat22 said:
Am I correct about an anemone? Cuz anemones can grow pretty big and I'm not planning to upgrade, or at least not for years.
There are a LOT of varieties of anenomes and they vary widely in size. Now one thing to remember is if you want your clowns to host in your anenome that'll determine types you should go for (as well as types of clowns) as there are some more common to pair up than others.

Condy Anenome's are super common for example, pretty, and only get about 6" or so max but generally clowns don't host in them as often. That will vary by individual fish but I wouldn't count on it for example

MinI carpet anenome's are super cool looking. Again only get about 6" but this one may be harder to find. I'm not sure on how they host

Anenomes grow pretty slow honestly so you could even start with a small one of any type and if it gets to big you can always trade it in later.

saltwater60

When people calculate round or hexagon tanks the commonly mix up the terminology used. Diameter is the total width and radius is half the width. It’s common for people to use the diameter for the radius and get double the volume.

PeteStevers

It should be fairly obvious between 40 and 8 I just went to a calculator app and typed in the dimensions. Maybe that wasn't the correct way to calculate the volume of a hexagon. Regardless, you definitely want to test your water to make sure you are adding fish to a cycled tank.

saltwater60

e_watson09 said:
There are a LOT of varieties of anenomes and they vary widely in size. Now one thing to remember is if you want your clowns to host in your anenome that'll determine types you should go for (as well as types of clowns) as there are some more common to pair up than others.

Condy Anenome's are super common for example, pretty, and only get about 6" or so max but generally clowns don't host in them as often. That will vary by individual fish but I wouldn't count on it for example

MinI carpet anenome's are super cool looking. Again only get about 6" but this one may be harder to find. I'm not sure on how they host

Anenomes grow pretty slow honestly so you could even start with a small one of any type and if it gets to big you can always trade it in later.
I agree with matching the clown and anemome for hosting. With that said with a tank of that dimensions I’d go with a bubble tipped as they are easy to maintain and relatively cheap. They host a good variety of clowns. I guess I just figured it was Ocellaris clowns as that’s what most people who say I want clowns mean.
I don’t recommend a larger clownfish species for this tank. A maroon and gold clownfish pair would be too large for this tank.
Anemones don’t really need a lot of space. Just keep your power heads away from them and **** them off until they settle in. Turn it back on when you’re home for the weekend to make sure the anemone stays put. They get stuck in powerhead a from time to time.

e_watson09

saltwater60 said:
I agree with matching the clown and anemome for hosting. With that said with a tank of that dimensions I’d go with a bubble tipped as they are easy to maintain and relatively cheap. They host a good variety of clowns. I guess I just figured it was Ocellaris clowns as that’s what most people who say I want clowns mean.
I don’t recommend a larger clownfish species for this tank. A maroon and gold clownfish pair would be too large for this tank.
I figured percula, ocellaris, or maybe even a pink stripe pair -- although the pink stripes probably get too big. The pink guys are my favorite but they don't look like traditional clowns so most people don't like them

I agree most of the others get way to big

Kitkat22

e_watson09 said:

When the time comes, if I do get an anemone, I'd love for the clowns to host it. Honestly I was picturing a bubble tip and a pair of your typical clowns.

PeteStevers said:
It should be fairly obvious between 40 and 8 I just went to a calculator app and typed in the dimensions. Maybe that wasn't the correct way to calculate the volume of a hexagon. Regardless, you definitely want to test your water to make sure you are adding fish to a cycled tank.
Yeah, I'm gonna get some fresh live rock and let it run its course. When I tested it everything look fine with the water chemistry. (Water came from an older tank) it's just a matter of the rock and bacteria

saltwater60

e_watson09 said:
I figured percula, ocellaris, or maybe even a pink stripe pair -- although the pink stripes probably get too big. The pink guys are my favorite but they don't look like traditional clowns so most people don't like them

Just me but I don’t like the pink streaked. Ocellaris clowns are great. I had them for years. I had a breeding pair and raised out their fry for 3 years. They have personality and spunk. My wife would feed them while I was out of town for me and they would splash her with water. Me they were fine for.

Kitkat22

saltwater60 said:
Anemones don’t really need a lot of space. Just keep your power heads away from them and **** them off until they settle in. Turn it back on when you’re home for the weekend to make sure the anemone stays put. They get stuck in powerhead a from time to time.
That's the pair and anemone I was picturing lol I was just worried. I've had only one anemone that I've bought in my life (not sure the kind but was on sale) and it was definitely very active in my 80 gallon, moved everywhere. So with my experience with them, I imagined the tank would be to small and again I know some can grow pretty big.

Kitkat22 said:
That's the pair and anemone I was picturing lol I was just worried. I've had only one anemone that I've bought in my life (not sure the kind but was on sale) and it was definitely very active in my 80 gallon, moved everywhere. So with my experience with them, I imagined the tank would be to small and again I know some can grow pretty big.
In case you were curious. Mine looked identical to this

e_watson09 said:

That's what was planned. My favorites are picosso clowns though

saltwater60

If it was mobile it wasn’t happy about something.

Kitkat22

saltwater60 said:
If it was mobile it wasn’t happy about something.
I guess a rookie mistake at the time and didnt help that I didnt know what kind it was. I can't think of anything that would cause it to be unhappy. The tank had good lighting and water circulation. And the anemone lived for a long time, was hardly ever closed up and retained it pretty color.

e_watson09

Kitkat22 said:

In case you were curious. Mine looked identical to this

That's what was planned. My favorites are picosso clowns though
The picasso clowns are *usually* a variation of percula clownfish just different coloring. My LFS always gets some REALLY cool variations of perculas and ocellarus in, they're normally pricey but stunning

Kitkat22

e_watson09 said:
The picasso clowns are *usually* a variation of percula clownfish just different coloring. My LFS always gets some REALLY cool variations of perculas and ocellarus in, they're normally pricey but stunning
Oh yeah, for sure! Definitely won't be getting any. My local pet store had one priced at $100

e_watson09

Kitkat22 said:
Oh yeah, for sure! Definitely won't be getting any. My local pet store had one priced at $100
If you're willing to order fish online (I've ordered from this company a few times without an issue for saltwater fish) Liveaquaria has some really cool ones. Not all are in stock right now but once your tank is ready to go they may be. Their picassos are $59.99 when they're in stock and they often have specials going!

LiveAquaria

Kitkat22

e_watson09 said:
If you're willing to order fish online (I've ordered from this company a few times without an issue for saltwater fish) Liveaquaria has some really cool ones. Not all are in stock right now but once your tank is ready to go they may be. Their picassos are $59.99 when they're in stock and they often have specials going!

LiveAquaria
Thank you so much will definitely look into it when my tank is ready

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom