Clownfish Tank Mates

grumpyandrex

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am setting up a 20 gallon saltwater aquarium. I am adding two clownfish to the tank and I'm wondering if I can add more fish and if so what kind are the best tank mates?

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of clownfish are you choosing? And some of my personal favorites are gobies because I think they are cute! A goby and pistol shrimp pair is fun to watch and works well. Shrimp are always kind of cool. you could do a little crab keep in mind he'll need some shells around the tank to grow in and out of. Those are the only ones I can think of really, sorry I couldn't be too much help.:emoji_no_mouth:

grumpyandrex

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of clownfish are you choosing? And some of my personal favorites are gobies because I think they are cute! A goby and pistol shrimp pair is fun to watch and works well. Shrimp are always kind of cool. you could do a little crab keep in mind he'll need some shells around the tank to grow in and out of. Those are the only ones I can think of really, sorry I couldn't be too much help.:emoji_no_mouth:
I am getting white clownfish. I think I'm gonna go for invertebrates for tank mates. Thanks for your help!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A lot of it depends on which type of 20 gallon you are going for. 20 Gallon Long offers more stocking options as it has more horizontal swimming space (which is the dimension saltwater fish use most):

For a regular 20 gallon here are the list of potential fish:

1-2 Ocellaris or Percula variety clownfish (avoid the others as they get big and mean)
Pajama Cardinalfish
Small Gobies (ie max size of 3 inches or smaller)
Small Blennies (ie max size of 3 inches or smaller)
Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
Firefish of any variety
Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse

For a 20 Gallon Long in addition to the list mentioned above you could have:

Banggai Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma Basslet
Harptail Blenny

Top Bottom