clownfish swimming on bottom of substrate and not moving Help

1. shawnw Member Member

i bought 3 clown fish today and now they are staying on the bottom of the tank and not moving much at all?? no sign of ick.. but what could be the problem....stress?? if so how can i help??

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Shawn could be they just need to get used to their new home.
    If you could fill in your aquarium info it'll help the members without them having to ask a bunch of questions.
    It's found under My Settings at the top left.
    Thanks!

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate your new fish? It could be that they are just getting used to their new surroundings. Do you still have the damsels you listed in your aquarium info? Could they be picking on your clowns? Is your tank cycled, and if so, can you post readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH? What is your specific gravity, and do you check it with a hydrometer or refractometer?

Sorry for all the questions, but if something is out of whack with your water parameters, it could be stressing your new fish.

4. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

This is a normal thing for clowns when introduced in to a new tank they will huddle together in a corner normally ,, as above please post you parameters and any other info relating to your tank i.e other fish ?

to help them adjust a bit quicker shorten lighting times or if possible leave off this will help reduce stress ,, when introducing new fish i leave the lights of for a couple of hrs

5. shawnw Member Member

white film was on clown.. moved to quarantine tank seems like it is gone except for a lite bit..havent treated with anything.. i bought some melafix from walmart... haven't used it. there was a damsel in there but my friend took him.. he did attack them so i got rid of him. there looks like a small piece of his tail is bitten out but i dunno... should i leave him in there or put him back in the regular tank and not treat him....?