Clownfish spawn again ! With Video !

agsansoo
Here we go again ... Round 2 !

54.jpg

Eggs on the same rock, just a little to the right.

55.jpg

Looks like there's more eggs this time !

Callum The Cat
Re: Clowns spawn again !

after they keep on spawning I think u'll get sick of them I had 4 lots of eggs in 3 weeks and believe me it was annoying

Peace Out Callum!

sgould

LOL...the clown has it's eye on you!

Bonochick

Cute! Your clown is beautiful.

Miss Mouse

Ohhh I can just imagine Nemos daddy looking after the eggs! It's just too cute how they look after them. And people say fish don't have feelings...

Tom

Congrats on your new brood.
Ohhh I can just imagine Nemos daddy looking after the eggs! It's just too cute how they look after them. And people say fish don't have feelings...
Well, they don't. I am only kidding, I know they have feelings. That would be the worst thing to say on a fish forum.
Tom

atmmachine816

Cool :;jk

Miss Mouse

Ooh Tom you big meanie! I had a HUGE argument with a friend who watched March of the Penguins with me and complained about how the producers made you feel like they actually had feelings for their babies and how stupid it was in a world when science can apparently prove that theory wrong. What a dork. Needless to say I am no longer very good friends with him. I don't know how science can prove whether an animal has feelings but it's not something worth arguing about because he has never had a pet in his life! Grr. Makes me mad. lol

armadillo

I don't see the eggs. Could you explain where they are? Like more to the left, or bottom, or something?

So cool that they've spawned again!!!

Trpimp147

the red spots are the eggs I believe.

Tom

Ooh Tom you big meanie!  I had a HUGE argument with a friend who watched March of the Penguins with me and complained about how the producers made you feel like they actually had feelings for their babies and how stupid it was in a world when science can apparently prove that theory wrong. What a dork. Needless to say I am no longer very good friends with him. I don't know how science can prove whether an animal has feelings but it's not something worth arguing about because he has never had a pet in his life! Grr. Makes me mad. lol
Ain't it though? I can get that way when Todd(evil personality) takes over. But hey, some people feel that way and I am not about to go and try to make people all believe what I am doing, like all the animal activists here that took all the animals away from the circus and are trying to shut down our zoo. But that's another story.
Tom

agsansoo

I don't see the eggs. Could you explain where they are? Like more to the left, or bottom, or something?

Yes the red dots are the eggs. They have turned sliver now, since they are two days away from hatching .... You can see their little black eyes and sliver bodies. I was going to take a picture tonight, but got very busy building a fry snagger. The lights cycled off before I remembered. I promise to take a few photos tomorrow when the lights are on again.

armadillo

Wow, you're kidding! So that's what it looks like? Huh, interesting.
the red spots are the eggs I believe.

armadillo

Fry snagger? You simply have to explain that one!

Yes the red dots are the eggs. They have turned sliver now, since they are two days away from hatching .... You can see their little black eyes and sliver bodies. I was going to take a picture tonight, but got very busy building a fry snagger. The lights cycled off before I remembered. I promise to take a few photos tomorrow when the lights are on again.

Trpimp147

usly people use a 2 liter bottle cut the top off from the top of the label and turn it inside out, and put food in it that the baby fish will eat and kinda put it close as to the eggs as you can and the babys will hatch and go for food and hiding so they will go there... some times they put a small wall there to help them go to the bottle, some other methods are putting a net by it and letting it ther eand watch them hatch... if you have that kind of time haha and try and get them all or relocate to a holding a tank before hatching. I don't think I would suggest that.

armadillo

Ooooooh, fancy idea, that.

Tom

I just thought of this, if it is possible, you should use a turkey baster(very clean of course) and just suck up the fry so they don't get shocked by leaving the water. I use that techneique with the killifish fry. Try to get one with an angeled tip. Those are the best.
Tom

Trpimp147

or you could go to the pet store and buy the fry catching thinger I donno what they look like.

agsansoo

I just thought of this, if it is possible, you should use a turkey baster(very clean of course) and just suck up the fry so they don't get shocked by leaving the water. I use that techneique with the killifish fry. Try to get one with an angeled tip. Those are the best.
Tom
Turkey baster I tried ... They are the quickest things in my tank. FAST and very small. So small they can't eat baby brine shrimp for at least a week ! A siphon hose is the only thing that's worked so far ... Will try my DIY snagger tonight. ! I will post photo tonight when I get home. Plus my rotifers are being delivered today. I hope (fingers crossed).

Trpimp147

sounds good if not try mine haha. I kno it works I watched a vid of it on another site it was cool if it don't work then much wasn't wasted in money or time only takes a few mins.

Tom

Tom
Turkey baster I tried ... They are the quickest things in my tank. FAST and very small. So small they can't eat baby brine shrimp for at least a week ! A siphon hose is the only thing that's worked so far ... Will try my DIY snagger tonight. ! I will post photo tonight when I get home. Plus my rotifers are being delivered today. I hope (fingers crossed).
OK, I thought it would help. If I had known you had already tried it, I would have kept quiet.
Tom

P.S. I am not feeling sorry for myself so I don't need any sympathies.

agsansoo

Updated photos:

65.jpg

Closeup

66.jpg

I tried to take better photos ... But I suck with this camera. Every time the auto-focus laser thingy shots out ... My clown swims in front of it, throwing the focus off.

agsansoo

OK. Now compare the first photo with this last one. The eggs are ready to pop. Good thing they didn't last night. My fry snagger didn't work so good. It lost the siphon and the pump went dry .... > LOL Will make some mods tonight !

Here it is ...!
Version 1

67.jpg

Trpimp147

how does it work??

agsansoo

Nope ...! It only caught two fry. Making a new version without the U-Tube.

Trpimp147

oo I see I get now I was kinda lost at first but I get it now. hmms good luck fish are tricky.

des

that's awsome. any tips on breeding? was hoping my pair of clowns would, but so far nothin!

agsansoo

that's awsome. any tips on breeding? was hoping my pair of clowns would, but so far nothin!
My only tip would be food. Feeding them the right variety of foods can induce spawning (I read this somewhere). I feed my Formula 1 and cyclopezee twice a day.

atmmachine816

My only tip would be food. Feeding them the right variety of foods can induce spawning (I read this somewhere). I feed my Formula 1 and cyclopezee twice a day.

O so you recommend Formula 1 then? My store sells that and I'm always looking for another variety, for now I just have omega one.

agsansoo

O so you recommend Formula 1 then? My store sells that and I'm always looking for another variety, for now I just have omega one.

Yes ! Formula 1 was developed for clownfish.

agsansoo

Update:
Clowns spawned again (their third time in a month) ! This time I'm more prepared. I have a new updated version of my larvae snagged and live rotifers ready to go.

Here's the photos ...

174.jpg

176.jpg

179.jpg

agsansoo

Drum roll please !

178.jpg

;D

Tom

Oh wow. congrats on your new fry. The contraption looks interesting. How exactly does is work?
Tom

agsansoo

The whole thing sits inside the tank the evening the eggs are due to hatch. When the eggs hatch after lights out the fry are drawn to a moon light taped to my tank. Theres a small pump inside the coffee filter/4"pvc pipe that sucks anything that comes near the slot in the Tupperware. The fry are protected from the pump by the coffee filter. After about an hour all are in the holding tank, the key for me was finding the right size pump and light and getting rid of the u-tube. It worked great !
;D

Tom

SOunds great, you should get it patented so you can then sell it to stores and other people.
Tom

agsansoo

SOunds great, you should get it patented so you can then sell it to stores and other people.
Tom

Nah ... I like sharing better ! I have to redo the suction cups, three of them fell off trying to get the container out of the display tank. The silicone didn't stick to the Tupperware very good. I'm going to drill holes and stick the suction cup ends through the container, and then silicone it from the inside.

Tom

But you could probably make a lot of money and then you could get a bigger house with more tanks and more tanks for your clowns. Just sell them to the pet stores and share them with very close freinds.
Tom

agsansoo

Update:
While the forth batch of eggs are ready to hatch. So far out of the previous three hatches, I have one lone survivor in a 5 gallon tank. All larvae from the third hatch that I put in the 5 gallon tank last week, died. Survivors from the first and second hatch (which the single survivor is one) are all doing well in the the main display tank. I watch with amazement, all the little fry swimming around the rocks and coral. I think I will stop trying to catch them from now on. Not sure how this will turn out.

armadillo

Do you have a video camera? This sounds so amazing. Would be awesome to watch. Mind they're probably still too small to be seen with a decent picture.

Miss Mouse

I think this is the most exciting post that has come up - I am glued. I have full time internet back now so happy ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Top Bottom