Clownfish Questions

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, my clownfish I recently got has kind of a stringy clear poop. I’m feeding baby brine shrimp and flakes. Also, I’m not sure if this is normal...
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 Gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 Months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 clownfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1 time per month
How much of the water do you change? About 10 percent... permaeters are always normal
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Currently unsure will post soon. At the check a few days ago it was
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: below 5, above 0
pH: 8ish

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily
How much do you feed your fish? Pinch of flake, 1/2 cube of frozen brine (not both at once)
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one and tropical fish flakes from Petco
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 Weeks
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Hides, stringy cleanish poop
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It hasn’t changed, her appetite is good. I’m just wondering if this is normal.

I just need to know if this looks normal.If you look at the photo where the clown looks cut in half , you can see it.

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like some form of internal parasite, although not ich. Not sure if Prazzi Pro would work but you will likely need to place it in QT to treat, so as not to mess with your tank. I will say this, the diet you are feeding your clownfish is poorly suited to them. Clownfish are in fact omnivores and a diversified diet will go a long way to keeping them healthy. Brine Shrimp is basically like feeding fish candy. Yes, they love it but it's very nutrient poor. A meaty and green frozen mix (ie LRS Reef Frenzy) supplemented with dry Seaweed/Nori would be a much better diet for the clowns and really any fish you put in there. Flake Food and Pellets are also a much dirtier food source for your tank as they tend to use cheap fillers. You would be amazed at the difference in your water by simply switching food sources.

Here is everything LRS Reef Frenzy offers in one food source:

If you don't have the ability to get LRS Reef Frenzy and have to feed Pellet or Flake, you might look into New Life Spectrum Pellets.

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For the record, I do also feed plant based foods. Neither of my lfs’s had any reef frenzy or nls. I’m trying to find better food, but I got the fish food off of the store owners recommendation. I’ll try prazipro as the fish is still in QT.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lollipop0912 said:
For the record, I do also feed plant based foods. Neither of my lfs’s had any reef frenzy or nls. I’m trying to find better food, but I got the fish food off of the store owners recommendation. I’ll try prazipro as the fish is still in QT.
Okay, wasn't sure as it wasn't mentioned in the description (maybe I missed it).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom