Clownfish playing dead?

NAPosey

My clownfish (2 years old) has always liked to stay towards the pump outflow, but now seems to be laying at the top a lot more. This is only some of the time, he spends most of the time with the other ocellaris all over the tank. Anyone know what’s going on? Here's a video.

Water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0-20
pH: 7
Temp: 80.2
Salinity: 1.025
Tank: Evo 13.5

One other ocellaris, 5-6 astrea snails, and a hermit crab are the only other occupants.

ChrissFishes01

Is your PH actually 7.0? That's extremely low for a saltwater tank - mine usually run 8.2-8.4.

Assuming that 7 was a typo, it could just be him being a little weird. Clowns do weird things - I'd monitor closely, and watch for any signs of bloating or loss of balance. It could be a swim bladder issue, and him floating is just not being able to easily control the organ all the time.

That said, I would still say he's probably just being weird.

Upvote 0

NAPosey

Thanks for the input! That is a typo, but it's not much higher, sitting at 7.5 every time I've tested, so that's not new for Nique (clownfish). Is that still too low for a saltwater tank? Maybe I should look into a pH upper? I don't have any corals right now, but I do plan to eventually get some in that tank. This is my first saltwater tank. It's been running for about two years now, but most of my experience is with freshwater.

The weird thing might explain it. He's always been a weirdo. I think he's always kind of slept or hung out like this, he just used to do it exclusively by the pump, I've never seen him do it at other parts of the tank before (and I didn't notice or he wasn't doing it upside down before).

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

7.5 is pretty low - low enough that while it may not be causing his behavior, it's probably going to be detrimental to inverts and corals long-term.

I'd avoid all chemicals that claim to raise or lower your PH. They'll cause nothing but trouble, and even when they do work, it's a pain to dose it exactly right, so you end up with some pretty wild PH swings.

If I had to guess, after seeing your video, your PH may be so low due to high CO2 content in the water. It looks like you don't have much surface agitation, you have a biofilm on the surface of the water, and that your flow is going mainly across the tank. That's fine, but you do want some flow breaking the surface of the water to promote gas exchange.

I'd test it by adjusting your flow outputs up towards the surface of the water for 48 hours. Then, retest your PH at the same time of day you tested when you got your result of 7.5. If you get a higher PH (at least 7.8), then you should be good, and you can either leave the tank alone or add a small pump aimed at the surface for increased agitation.

Upvote 0

NAPosey

I removed the small skimmer plate I had near my overflow. That seemed to change the flow-rate in the tank and the level of my water. Tested today and my pH is 7.8-8 (little hard to tell, but closer to 8 than 7.8). Nique's still hanging on his side/belly at times toward the surface, but he's back to doing it mostly near the output. He still eats fine, and otherwise seems to swim fine throughout the tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Sedentary Guppy
  • BrookeB
  • Guppy
Replies
Views