Clownfish Pair trouble

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Guys~This could get lengthy, sorry. I've been dealing with this for a week and it's time I stopped just reading and asked about my poor clowns!!
I have a 75 gallon reef tank. I had an Orange Occellaris (approx 2") for one month. I then purchased a Black Occellaris (approx 2.25"). OK, to start...I have since read that I should have purchased a smaller Occellaris. I know that now. My problems started a week after the black one was introduced. For the first week...they got along great. They were inseparable, swam together, ate together, slept together. Then...I came home one day from work and the black one's tail was a little beat up and they were at opposite sides of the tank. I expected a little of this but he was swimming fine so I just watched them closely. His tail healed after a few days and all was well. They nip at each other...but nothing that would have caused alarm. Well...A few days later, the black one's fin is all torn up. He seems in good spirits, is eating well and everything. I noticed the orange one now has some fins torn. It was a little harder to tell with him so this may not have been a new thing. He (orange one) also looks like he's been taking some good bites to his body as his color is changing in spots. So, again...things heal and I watch them closely. Yesterday...the orange one is nowhere to be found. He's hiding behind my rocks in the caves. Every time the orange one pokes his head out...the black one comes by and attacks him. I turned the light off....no change. After about 20 min of this, the fighting stopped. However, the orange one won't come out of the cave if the black one is anywhere near him. They both "slept" in their normal places (outside of the cave) last night. This morning the orange one is at the top of the tank and the black one keeps coming up and bugging him. A small nip here and there. They've both shown the "twitching" behavior at times but neither shows it more than the other. FYI, there's no heavy breathing, everyone is swimming and eating. If you wouldn't look closely at the torn fins/tail, you would think nothing was wrong. I've tried to separate them for awhile..but can't catch either or them. So...my questions are as follows:
Is there a chance that both are female? Or would I be having more issues with them than this?
Am I looking too closely? Should I just let nature take it's place?
How "beat up" is too beat up?? I feel sick to my stomach that they may be in harms way. But I don't want to stress them out trying to catch them either if it's unnecessary.
If the Orange (smaller) one was female and the black is male, will they be OK? Or does the male HAVE to be smaller?? I can't find anything anywhere online to answer this.
I'm at my wits end. My husband says I'm worrying about nothing and "they'll be fine". The LFS says that if they would have fought from the beginning...then they'd see the problems, but since they were friends for a week before this started, leave them be for awhile and see what happens. Can someone please just either put my mind at ease or convince me to separate them if I need to? Please????

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry that you're so stressed. I don't know about these particular fish, but I'm sure someone with experience will come soon and give you some helpful advice..... hang in there. :console:

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi there , nothing worse than being strested out over ur tank. i have the same clowns as yourself and mine to pick at each other but by the sound of it not as bad . one suggestion could be to take the 2 of them out of the tank and introduce again at the same time and meanwhile if you can change the decor of your tank around it might help to have different surroundings , hope this helps

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys! I'm really beside myself thinking I put them in this situation. I'm willing to try anything.

fishy_Dude

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Black Occelaris clownfish, a.k.a Clarkii's, are very agrresive with other clownfish not of the same type. Just a word of caution.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads