Clownfish only eating copepods?

1. rt12 Member Member

I bought a clownfish 3 days ago. The clownfish is swimming and breathing normally and has no visible sighs of disease. He is very active too. When i feed him though he barly eats any of the mysis shrimp. My tank is about 2 month old 10 gallon with 8 pounds of live rock. About a week ago I started noticing copepods crawling around on the rocks and glass. During the day I notice my clownfish eating copepods. Is it possible that hes not hungry because hes been eating the copepods or is it something else? Also my water has 0 at all toxic levels but the ph is a bit low.

2. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

clowns will eat copepods , if you are worried about him not eating then soak the food in garlic , this should get him eating

3. rt12 Member Member

I have been soaking it in garlic, but he only picks on it sometimes and then spits it out or tries to eat it. I think i've only seen him actually eat it once.

4. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

garlic? can i ask why garlic?

5. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

Garlic has a strong smell that most fish cant resist and is good for treating diseases as well and is also nutritional for fish

6. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

oh cool thanks :)

P.s: Also works on dogs to get rid of fleas X)
    Thats why i had to ask - we feed our dog raw garlic every now and then to keep her coat shiny ^^

7. Naeusu Member Member

I had a very similar problem with my clown. She refused to eat pellets, flakes, or frozen mysis when she was in quarantine. I was very afraid she'd starve to death. I got some good advice tho and started feeding her live brine shrimp. She went after those quite enthusiastically and when I transferred her to the display tank she finally learned to eat the rest of the foods I offered after watching the other fish. She still is picky however...she much prefers the live food and frozen mysis mix over the pellets and flakes...

in short, try live brine shrimp.

8. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Can you provide supporting documents for these statements, thanks.

9. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Well, I've just bought frozen brine shrimp in cubes from the lfs, and it says its garlic'd.
    So they wouldn't just do it for no reason would they? It wouldn't be worth the money and time.

10. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

I read people suggest garlic to get fish to eat, what I was wondering about was to the comments that it is good for treating diseases.