Clownfish Not Eating

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I added some occolaris clownfish to my newly cycled nano tank, I didn't quarentine as they are the only and first fish in this tank so are technically in quarentine . I tried feeding some slowly sinking pellets just now and they ate them and spat them out and remeated that for a few times, anyone know why? Other than that they seem healthy and there are no visible parasites or anything.

Is this just because they are new and stressed?

Thanks,
Ethan

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maggie321 said:
Hey man, I saw your clowns in Insta, they are very nice looking fish! I hope you get them to eat. Have you tried anything but the slow sinking pellets? Do you have garlic on hand?
I feed my coral a mix of reef roids and brine shrimp and garlic mix, the clownd seemed interested in the brine shrimp but it's the same story as the pellets.

I love them too, I think I'm going to call them George and Malcolm (don't ask why) I just really want them to eat as they are really cool and expensive. I didn't want to get the traditional occolaris type as they are too main stream imo and I can't stand people saying "look it's a nemofish" but the others were super expensive (like £30 a fish for maroon) so I went with occolaris, and have had numerous people saying 'nemo' as feared.

Ethan

Maggie321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And people call powder blue tangs Dorey fish now too! It's irritating but no one can change it now. Just keep trying to feed them.
Xbox62 said:
I feed my coral a mix of reef roids and brine shrimp and garlic mix, the clownd seemed interested in the brine shrimp but it's the same story as the pellets.

I love them too, I think I'm going to call them George and Malcolm (don't ask why) I just really want them to eat as they are really cool and expensive. I didn't want to get the traditional occolaris type as they are too main stream imo and I can't stand people saying "look it's a nemofish" but the others were super expensive (like £30 a fish for maroon) so I went with occolaris, and have had numerous people saying 'nemo' as feared.

Ethan

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some Kent's Garlic added to the food will help induce them to eat. Also clownfish are omnivores so they need a mixed diet (and pellets IMHO are a terrible food source). LRS Reef Frenzy would be a good all in one food source and produce less waste for your tank (as long as you don't overfeed):

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Try soaking the pellets first, make them a nice cocktail of pellets, shrimp and a few flakes. I personally use garlic infused flakes. The garlic will help ward off Ich, from what I’ve been told.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think the garlic mainly just gets them to eat when they're not particularly interested in food. It may boost their immune system as well, but I don't think it does anything specifically for Ich.

The pellets may be a bit large. Try splitting them in half, soaking them in garlic, and they may take them a bit better.

They could just be new. My clown ate within a few hours of being in the tank, but every fish is different. If they haven't eaten in 3-4 days, that's when you should start to worry, as fish can go a few weeks without food.

They could also be used to eating frozen only. I only feed my fish frozen foods (I use a homemade blend, frozen cocktail shrimp, fresh tuna filets, spirulina, and a few peas blended together), and it loves it. Worst comes to worst, go to your LFS and try to get your hands on some Mysis Shrimp. Thaw a bit off in some tank water (not an entire cube!), maybe soak it in some garlic, and feed that. Put the rest of the cube into a freezer baggie and put it back into your freezer. It should last a week or two without getting freezer burnt, and then you can move onto the next cube in the pack.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, thanks for all the replies , could I get a bowl and put a few cubes of brine shrimp and garlic and mix with tank water(to get them to melt) and add some ground up pellets?

I'll try later today and if they don't eat I'll try the method above.

Ethan

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't put a few cubes in!

Like I said, shave a bit off of a single cube and feed that. If not, then you're just going to pollute your tank.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
Don't put a few cubes in!

Like I said, shave a bit off of a single cube and feed that. If not, then you're just going to pollute your tank.
Oh, I ment in a big batch and freeze it again, and adding it to the tank in small amounts.

Ethan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom