Clownfish Not Eating Mysis

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by penguin02, Feb 5, 2019.

1. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +984
    Experience:
    2 years
    Good evening,

I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish who have been in quarantine for three and a half weeks. They show no sign of illness and are very active.

When we first got them, I noticed that they showed no interest in eating mysis shrimp. I figured they were just settling in, but it's been almost a month and they still won't eat mysis! They eat spirulina brine shrimp and sometimes flake food (although they can be picky with this as well).

I've heard that clownfish are supposed to be pigs, and it's concerning me that they still aren't eating mysis when they're scheduled to go in the DT this weekend. It's also very weird that they eat spirulina with no problem but become picky when mysis is added. I've tried mixing the two foods together, and they'll let the mysis float to the bottom and only eat the spirulina.

Any thoughts? How can I get them to eat?

Tank is 10g and the temp is kept around 80 degrees (trying to lower it a bit, but my heater is not cooperating).

2. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    4 years
    Try a variety of foods my clown seems to not like live foods as much as pellets. I believe each fish is unique it be more of a concern if they werent eating at all.

3. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Clownfish are Omnivores and as such prefer a mix of meat and greens. Spirulina is a mix of greens and brine shrimp so it doesn't surprise me that it likes it. The food I recommend for just about any fish as an all in one diet is LRS Reef Frenzy and it is well known for getting picky fish to eat. Take a look at everything you get in one food source and a 1/8 inch cube of it once or twice a day should take care of a pair of clowns:

4. OP
    OP
    penguin02

Ratings:
    +984
    Experience:
    2 years
    I’ll have to give this a try! I’m sure my family will be happy to see yet another pack of fish food in our freezer

5. Shrimpie

ShrimpieValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Hikari brand mini pellets are all that my clowns eats. nothing else is acceptable. they are extremely picky eaters.

6. OP
    OP
    penguin02

Ratings:
    +984
    Experience:
    2 years
    This is good to hear. Everything I’ve heard says that clownfish are very good eaters, which was why I was so nervous. Even the LFS seemed concerned when we brought it up. We’ve had parasite problems in this QT before, so I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything else going on.

Thanks for everyone’s input! We’ll try some different foods