Clownfish in 8 gallon

RaqThar

Hello everyone!

My lfs has a single clownfish that they don't know how to take care of because they don't normally sell saltwater fish but someone brought the fish in and left it there. I have some experience with saltwater fish as I have looked after my friends 60 gallon saltwater tank for 3 months and everything went fine but obviously I'm not that experienced. They are willing to give me the fish along with everything I need for free if I look after it. The only problem is I only have an 8 gallon tank that I can use. Will this be fine for a bit of live rock and 1 clownfish?
(P.S I don't know what type of clownfish but it is small and light orange and no photos as of now).

Thank you!

HarrisonAquatics

If it's an Ocellaris or Percula, you should be cool with it in the 8 gallon for a while. You'll probably want to upgrade at some point (depending on the dimensions of the tank), but clowns generally don't need a ton of space.

RaqThar

HarrisonAquatics said:
If it's an Ocellaris or Percula, you should be cool with it in the 8 gallon for a while. You'll probably want to upgrade at some point (depending on the dimensions of the tank), but clowns generally don't need a ton of space.
It's an 8 gallon long tank and the fish seems to be about 8 cm maybe not to sure.

HarrisonAquatics

8 gallon tanks aren't standard, so I have no idea what the dimensions are.

For reference, an Ocellaris or Percula clown can happily live it's entire life in a standard 10 gallon tank. If the dimensions on your tank are similar, you should be just fine.

saltwater60

Agree what type of clown is it. Does it look like Nemo? 8 gallon is on the small side but if it’s just that fish and a few shrimp, crabs and snails it will likely be fine. Keep up on water changes though.

e_watson09

I think it really depends on type of clown we are talking as some get massive. I have a gut feeling it is probably an Ocellaris or a percula as those are the more common clown fish. If it is you're probably fine with an 8g at least for now.

With that being said it is VERY hard to keep water parameters where they need to be with that small of a tank. So for personal ease I'd probably upgrade to a 29 gallon down the road as bigger is easier often with salties.

Not all of these are as common as others. If you can't identify based on this photo try a google search for "types of clownfish" and it'll come up with tons of photos to help you identify.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom