Clownfish fin rot and crab death

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I realized my clownfish had a torn dorsal fin and anal fin. I have two clownfish and the mocha one seems to be showing more but I can see some problems on one of the other clownfish’s anal fin. I could only get pictures of the mocha clown
1590510793816.png1590510627761.png

It isn't really an emergency because I've read it's quite easy to treat but I've never had any experience and am using this template to organize the information. Can someone tell me how to treat this?
Secondly, my emerald crab died a few days after I got it and I was wondering what happened and what I need to do once I get another to prevent it from happening again once I purchase a replacement.
Thanks

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 40 gallons
How long has the tank been running? About 8-9 months
Does it have a filter? Yes. Aquaclear 70 HOB
Does it have a heater? Yes 150W
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2x clownfish (female ocellaris, male mocha), 2x nerite snails, 1x peppermint shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Never/not often (cycling)
How much of the water do you change? maybe 10%
What do you use to treat your water? I use RO or purified water and mix with Instant Ocean Salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate, every 2 months or so

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I am cycling it now
What do you use to test the water? Freshwater API master kit (I was told it is about the same)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm 1590512589587.png
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? every night for clownfish, I don't for the crab
How much do you feed your fish? a few pellets for each clownfish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One small marine pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 5 months, for the crab a few days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just a few days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Little chunks off fins/torn fins, and dead crab
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nope, through the few days the fins have stayed about in the same condition

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
A few days ago I noticed some chunks off of my clownfish's fins (see pictures above). I don't know if it is fin rot or physical injury. I have not started treatment but will consider freshwater baths or Marine Melafix. Can someone tell me how to use these?
And for the Emerald Crab, I bought him two days ago and acclimated by floating bags while pouring in 10 mL tank water every 5 mins, then towards the end 1/4 cup tank water, then 1/2 cup tank water to the bags (both peppermint shrimp and crab) then transferred them with net. I did not feed the crab but saw it eating things off of the live rock. I did not add Calcium or Iodine for his shell. Salinity is 1.025

New Threads