Clownfish Fighting Solutions?

Landen Finlinson

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have four clownfish currently in a 125 gallon aquarium i recently added one to the original three and the first few days he was bullied but now one of the clownfish breaks off from his group to be with the new one but still chases him and makes him submit and will be with him alot of the day now but will still sleep and hang out with his group what should i do and what does this mean

KristaD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like hierarchical (pecking order) behavior but I'm not sure. Are all the clownfish the same type?

chirag

Reaction score
What other fishes do you have in there? If the tank is well stocked, you should either keep only 2 Ocellaris Clownfish together or upgrade your tank to an even larger size so that there is space for both the pairs to spread out evenly.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No you don't have to upgrade to an even larger size tank for clowns lol. What the?

It's always hard to add in clowns at different times, usually you want to add them in at the same time otherwise they start drawing territorial lines.
What you want to do is remove the aggressor for a few days, be it in your sump, breeding net, etc.. something that separates the aggressor from the group. Re-introduce a few days later.

Are they all the same size too? Generally you want to add them from the same batch and around the same size.

It is hard to introduce additional new clowns once they get situated, though not impossible.

chirag

Reaction score
I beg to differ on some of the points, if the tank is well stocked, there will be lesser room for the existing clowns and they'll get aggressive towards new ones. So the best solution would be to increase the space further to minimize confrontation or remove the new ones entirely. Yes you can adjust them by trial and error but I'd prefer to have only as many clowns as will naturally live peacefully. Although his tank is quite big, keeping only one pair is a good option if they fight. If the three are okay then let them be, don't introduce any more.

chirag

Reaction score
@MightyNanoTank is correct but what I follow as a rule of thumb is to keep just one pair of clowns, unless I am able to get a tank where the two or more pairs won't be able to see each other's face often at all.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@chirag no disrespect. I have not heard of this 1 pair of clown rule in a big tank. Check out what BRS tv did in their series
It's a harem of clowns. Like I said, it is difficult introducing a new clown because depending how long they've been together, they may have established an hierarchy. Though, it's possible to break that up, just more work.

chirag

Reaction score
@MightyNanoTank: np at all. It's completely fine. Well I'm quite new to saltwater systems. For sure you are more experienced than I am but dunno how come you yet haven't come across this. At multiple places I've read that keep either 1 pair or if you keep more the tank should have enough(huge) space to spread them apart or host anemones. It is really hard for a beginner to keep multiple clowns together. Look here: How many paired clown fish can you have in the same tank?

and here: Reef Central Online Community - View Single Post - How many clownfish can you put in a tank?

Also just as you said all those from the same clutch will probably live in peace together.

I just like to steer clear of all this trouble by keeping just a single pair as I just hate my fishies bullying, biting and nipping each other.

Reef13G YT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have four clownfish currently in a 125 gallon aquarium i recently added one to the original three and the first few days he was bullied but now one of the clownfish breaks off from his group to be with the new one but still chases him and makes him submit and will be with him alot of the day now but will still sleep and hang out with his group what should i do and what does this mean
If the tank is well established new clown fish are harder to adapt into your tank. I'm sure if you add more fish you'd be good, or easier solution [and cheaper]

Spread them out and try and keep separation

Hilarious Way To Do It That Probably Won't Work

Feed them clownfish treats if they are good [lol]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom