Clownfish Fighting - Questions and Advice Appreciated

TheGeeko

Hello there! Earlier today, we took in a 10 gallon saltwater tank that is stocked with snails, hermit crabs and 2 Oscellaris clownfish. They are a male and female "bonded" pair (according to the previous owner). To us, the tank seems really full (stocking wise), even though it is a fully mature nano reef.

When we purchased the tank today, we noticed that the female had a chunk taken out of one of her fins. We have noticed them fighting with each other that seems to end when we feed them but we still find it concerning that they are fighting at all.

We would really appreciate any advice to ensure that these guys receive the best possible care possible.

Coradee

It’s been a while since I had clowns but they were always feisty with each other it’s quite common I believe, hopefully our current clown keepers will chime in with their experience today.

saltwater60

They can be a bit nippy with eachother. Mine were great. It’s likely the move stressed them out. Keep an eye on them but a 10 gallon is fairly small for them and they may not settle down or stop fighting. In that case I’d redone them and get a clown goby and a shrimp goby shrimp pair and have those as your two fish. 10 gallons are tough to stock fish wise.

TheGeeko

Coradee said:
It’s been a while since I had clowns but they were always feisty with each other it’s quite common I believe, hopefully our current clown keepers will chime in with their experience today.
saltwater60 said:
They can be a bit nippy with eachother. Mine were great. It’s likely the move stressed them out. Keep an eye on them but a 10 gallon is fairly small for them and they may not settle down or stop fighting. In that case I’d redone them and get a clown goby and a shrimp goby shrimp pair and have those as your two fish. 10 gallons are tough to stock fish wise.
Thank you both! Sorry I am so slow to respond! Everything is great now, they really only seem to get nippy when expecting food. They are much healthier than when we took them in. I really appreciate the responses. 10 gallon is a bit small, I agree, so an upgrade may be coming up

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom