Clownfish Constant Swimming In Current Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by AquaKingg, May 18, 2018.

1. AquaKingg

AquaKingg Valued Member Member

I just got my first saltwater fish ever. (big step up in the hobby and I’m so excited) it’s a clownfish but I don’t know what kind it is. I have it in the Fluval Evo 13.5gal so it came with on of those current making pump things. All my clownfish ever does is just swim in circles around the tank with the current. Is there a reason why?

2. OP
    OP
    AquaKingg

Also he’s not eating. Just got him this passed Thursday. The guy at the fish store said to give him some pellets he handed be but he just ignores them and keeps swimming in circles. Haven’t seen him eat at my house so far..

3. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

How long has he gone without eating? How did you acclimate him? Do you see any white spots on him? If it's been a week then something is definitely up, if it's just been a day or two then it can be perfectly normal. Clownfish are omnivores (so they need both meat and greens). I would recommend switching to frozen foods as dry pellets produce lots of yuck for your tank water. LRS Reef Frenzy would be a good all in one food source for carnivores and omnivores:

I would also recommend trying some of this to help induce feeding, take a small cup of water from your tank put in the food you want to use and make sure it is broken up if it is frozen or sinks if it is pellets and then add one to two drops of the Garlic directly to the food source. Garlic can help induce feeding:

4. OP
    OP
    AquaKingg

Today marks day 3 since I’ve gotten him but the second full day. I acclimated him for 40 minutes adding little bits of tank water to his bag and then I put just him in and poured out the water in the bag. No white spots. He actually looks very very healthy. No heavy breathing. He was in the LFS for around a month+ before I got him so I doubt it’s any diseases. Also thanks for the food tips!

5. OP
    OP
    AquaKingg

Also, should I try moving the current? Or maybe moving the live rock around a bit?

6. OP
    OP
    AquaKingg

Update: I got him to eat. I fed him in the morning instead of at night and he ate a bit.

7. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Clownfish are also kinda... silly? They do just swim around in circles all day, particularly when they are alone and don't have anything else to interact with. This is not me telling you to get him a friend, just explaining behavior.;)

Not eating for a day or two after a tank transfer is also normal. :)

8. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

This is normal, I had difficulty for a couple of days getting my new coral beauty dwarf angel to eat for a few days but as soon as I cut him loose from his acclimation box, he immediately went to grazing on the algae around the tank and ate regular food later that night.

9. OP
    OP
    AquaKingg

Oh trust me. He’s gonna get a friend. I’m 15 now and owning a saltwater tank has been my dream since I was 7 (particularly a clownfish) but I wanna get my tank to it’s healthy maximum :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice