clownfish color change

mastercave
so I finally got my highly sought-after wild true perc and it's in QT now. I came into the room to check on it and to my horror, the orange color has faded to a very pale white-orange and it's fins are almost clear. after a while with the lights on, the color seems to have returned. what was going on with it?

Oil_Fan
No idea mastercave. My clownfish colours always look the same. Then again I have ocelleris clowns, not percs. I'm sure someone who does will stop on by.

Martinismommy
I have 2 perc clowns "Lanny" and "Lola" and the lights have never changed their color.....I keep the lights on the tank on all day and turn the moonlights on at night.....In the morning (and I'm up early) they are always a bright orange......

Is your tank newly set up?

mastercave
it's a QT using water and filter media from my cycled main tank. tonight's the 2nd night so I'll check again when I turn the lights off. i'm sure it was sleeping when it changed colors.

Butterfly
In your first post you stated that it was wild caught. I understand wild caught are more sensitive than tank bred fish, could this be the problem? Maybe it's just not acclimated to it's new home yet.
Carol

agsansoo
Any pictures ? Clowns will lighten up a little when stressed.

ssapres03
my clownfish has changed to a light color too and yesterday it was acting weird, just swimmin in one particular spot I had a bad feeling about it. today I came home from work and couldn't find it, it was behind the a rock so I had to dig for it. I think it might be dying is there something I could do to try to get better?

Tumbleweed
Do you have a quarantine tank? If so you should move him into it. All you can do is give him clean water and plenty of food. Does he show any signs of disease? white spots, fur, open sores?

ssapres03
I already move him, but he died as soon as put him in the tank I was watching him gave him a lil bit of food and then he died! I am so sad. no he didn't have open sores, no white spots his color was just light.

Tumbleweed
Do you know what your water conditions are?

ssapres03

ssapres03
temperature is 80

Tumbleweed
What about amonia, nitrite, nitrate?

ssapres03
also good. maybe it was the move. my friend gave me the tank with the fish but had begun to neglect them ,when I took over they hadn't been fed for like a week

jguitarm15
so I finally got my highly sought-after wild true perc and it's in QT now. I came into the room to check on it and to my horror, the orange color has faded to a very pale white-orange and it's fins are almost clear. after a while with the lights on, the color seems to have returned. what was going on with it?

well when I got my clown fish he did the same just give him a few days and while he gets used to his new home!!

charzar-g
Hey all

Whilst thinking about how to stock my new tank (Not even Filled with water yet, so a long shot off) I thought of a clownfish pair to start off with (I want seahorses later in the game, but i'm gonna start of small with something easiler, naturally)

So yea, Who doesn't like the look of a clownfish wiggling about?? But when I was in the fish shop last time, I noticed there were some black clownfish with the same white stripes as the orange ones
I liked the look of these black ones more than the orange ones for some reason, so if I went with a black pair instead of a orange pair, would they be any different?
And also what causes this black colouration? Or is it a completly differnt type of clown?
And I read somewhere that clowns DON'T always need an anenomie...Is that right??

Any help would be neato

Charlie

sgould
There are many different variety of clowns, the black and white are just one of them, but they are still clowns and have the same general behavior patterns.

You are correct that clowns do not need anemones. In fact, it would be a good idea to not try your hand at an anemone until you have several months (6+) of experience under your belt. This is because anemones are touchy and can be harder to keep than a lot of other livestock. Waiting allows a new tank time to mature and stabalize as well as allowing a new hobbyist time to learn and give them a better chance of success with the harder to keep species.

galvatron3000
I purchased some black and white Oc. a few weeks ago for my wife's 65 gal. display. They are lovely and make you feel like you have something rare (even if you don't) because they are not the ususal or the well known coloration, thanks to Nemo.

They were introduced last night to the main display, got'em when Live Aquaria put them on sale a couple of weeks ago. Great addition. Tank bred as well.

nemo addict
just a point on sea horses ,, they are very hard to keep and do better in a species only tank due to there feeding ,,,and if not spot fed when with more aggressive feeders they will starve as they are not aggressive feeders ,,,,

Also a point on clownfish ,, don't mix clowns as they don't generally get on so make sure you want the black ones as adding orange ones with black you may have problems

Hypnox
While not necessarily recommended, it apparently can work.

413.jpg

Yes, that is a maroon hosting an anemone with a false percula.

charzar-g
just a point on sea horses ,, they are very hard to keep and do better in a species only tank due to there feeding ,,,and if not spot fed when with more aggressive feeders they will starve as they are not aggressive feeders ,,,,

Also a point on clownfish ,, don't mix clowns as they don't generally get on so make sure you want the black ones as adding orange ones with black you may have problems

Of course I knew that about seahorses
I've done my hwk on them, and I definitely wasn't thinking about having them in the same tank as the clowns, I would rehome them if I was ever to get seahorses. I have a few friends who do saltwater
And I was only planning on having a pair of black clowns, is this okay?? (from the same species I mean)

charzar-g
There are many different variety of clowns, the black and white are just one of them, but they are still clowns and have the same general behavior patterns.

You are correct that clowns do not need anemones. In fact, it would be a good idea to not try your hand at an anemone until you have several months (6+) of experience under your belt. This is because anemones are touchy and can be harder to keep than a lot of other livestock. Waiting allows a new tank time to mature and stabalize as well as allowing a new hobbyist time to learn and give them a better chance of success with the harder to keep species.

Thanks for making me clear on this, that would have been one of the draw backs of having a clown for me until later on

charzar-g
I purchased some black and white Oc. a few weeks ago for my wife's 65 gal. display. They are lovely and make you feel like you have something rare (even if you don't) because they are not the ususal or the well known coloration, thanks to Nemo.

They were introduced last night to the main display, got'em when Live Aquaria put them on sale a couple of weeks ago. Great addition. Tank bred as well.

I think that might be the reason I prefer the black ones to the orange ones myself I'm not sure
I'd love to see pictures of yours, do you have any?

charzar-g
Just another question, sorry to like,, quadtriple post or whatever many posts i've done, but I may just be being paranoid about this...
The clowns I saw in the shop were TINYYYY like, the size of a baby finger nail, and putting a pair in a 65 usa gallon tank to themselves...would they get lost? Or be able to find food? I'm probably being rediculous, because there ancestors lived in the sea...which is much bigger than a tank
But just imagining those tiny little things in the tank seems.....huge

sgould
I'd be more concerned about larger tank mates that might view a small fish as a snack and skimmer/powerhead intakes than I would be about the clowns getting "lost" in a big tank.

charzar-g
larger tank mates won't be a problem, because they'd be the only fish in there for a long time...maybe even for their whole lives
But with skimmers and powerheads, what should I do about that?
I don't have a skimmer yet, because I was told to wait till all the friendly bacteria and good stuff settles first, otherwise the skimmer will remove the good stuff too!
And if i'm getting live rock, would it be okay with the filter off for a week or two? (on whilst its maturing)
I'm such a nooob :'(

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Falena
Replies
Views
jenmur
  • Question
Replies
Views