Clownfish Behavior Help

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by ben1328, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ben1328New MemberMember

I have 2 Ocellaris Clowns and one has been pretty calm when introduced to tank swimming calm and roaming around the tank while the other slightly larger which has established dominance as the small one does the spasm and the larger one replied with another... well he swims crazy fast at the top of the tank creating ripples and then goes up and down on the corners of my 20 g tank. Is this behavior normal. He seems stressed or uneasy. Thanks in advance for your help Image1524631388.676835.jpg

2. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

If they are captive bred this is very normal behavior. The captive bred fish are very active and will use every inch of space in your tank. I had a snowflake occ that was similar to that. Here is a vid of him in action:

3. ben1328New MemberMember

Thank you for your reply! Haha I was freaking out because every video I see online about clowns... well they are usually calm and this one seems like he’s like a kid with a sugar rush... a sort of hyper crazy mode. Yes I bought them and they were captive bred. So if this is normal then I won’t worry. He does it often the other one is chill as he is freaking out and every once in a while they swim together peacefully. He’s feeding well and he seems happy. Again thank you for your help.

4. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Yup, generally speaking the wild ones will stake out a territory, but the captive bred just try to claim the whole tank. Mine was only a 1.5 inch fish and as you can see he liked to move. wierd thing was is that he would exhibit the same behavior at night. I could come out at 3AM and he would still be swimming his little tail off. I ended up getting rid of him though as he was a jerk and contributed to the death of my scissortail dartfish (and possibly my purple firefish as well). He did make the mistake of trying to push the wrasse around though and unleashed a mean streak that I didn't know that wrasse had (fortunately it only lasted a day and was solely directed at the clown who deserved every bit of it). The little bugger PO'ed the wrasse enough that the wrasse grabbed the clown by the tail and shook it like a ragdoll. Never seen anything like it before. I really wish I had the camera going for that. I think the only thing I have seen that is more impressive was the lady who's Mandarin Fish (About as peaceful as saltwater fish get) had enough of a bullying clown and latched onto it's pectoral fin and wouldn't let go:

5. ben1328New MemberMember

Holy cow... that’s some Dragonet Kung fu right there lol. A message to all fish, although they are peaceful fish don’t push the Mandarin. Haha

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  6. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

That's the most aggression I have ever seen or heard of from a Mandarin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice