Clown with BN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so I have a 26 bowfront, 24"long. I just bought a clown pleco about an inch long. he's cool, but people say they aren't super algae cleaners, I was wondering if the clown would be fine if I added a bn, or if the tanks too small. Otherwise I'll prolly get a couple big snails.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Better off going with the snails IMO. Plecos often fight over territory & they can get locked up together (rare) requiring manual separation. I don't think the tanks big enough for two Plecos.

OP
NC_OBS

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So this isn't on the original topic but seemed pointless to start another thread. my tank is at a steady 78'F, but my clown seems to have decided to hide between the heater and the glass, is this gonna be a problem? seems like he's cooking himself. there's driftwood he could live under but he picked the heater, just seems odd. he's been there about 36 hours, but he has relocated behind it, he's not dead

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should be fine so long as there is good water circulation around the heater so that it doesn't get too hot. Once it settles in it will probably go to the piece of wood. Make it so that it can get in or under the wood to make it happy, otherwise it will just go where it feels as though it's got some cover, like behind the heater.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've never had good luck housing more than 1 Pleco per tank. One always turned up missing and never found any remains.

Ken

OP
NC_OBS

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's not pleasant(the vanished fish). But ya one piece of ood is propped on the other to make a cave, he was in there one morning then he moved to the heater. maybe he'll move back.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd let him get himself settled. It can sometimes take a week or more for new fish to get used to their new home. Especially if they're a little older.

The best thing you can do is to offer the best water conditions possible, and keep an eye on him. Don't hassle him (by trying to poke him etc), just let him do his thing.

Importantly, you wanna make sure he's eating though, even he just comes out to eat, then goes away again.

Best of luck.

OP
NC_OBS

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm getting concerned about my wee clown. So I turned out the light and dropped in a couple algae wafers like 2 hours ago, then went down and checked on him, he's moved to a slightly lower spot(still behind the heater), but has made no move towards the algae, which is only like 2 inches away from him. Should I just leave it till morning and then scoop it out if he still hasn't eaten it?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes leave the tabs until morning then remove if not eaten. It's best not to have the light hours change around. Plecos especially seem to get into a pattern with the lights. It's not at all uncommon for them to ignore the food you put in there for the first week or so. Let it get settled in & it will develop it's own rythm. They don't move around much during the day so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Always drop the food in at the same time & in the same place & the Pleco will soon get used to it & may well start to be where it knows the food is going to be before you even drop it in there. Just give it a week or two to settle in. There's nothing to worry aobut yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom