Clown striped pleco

mimianderson

I have had a very stressful time but have followed a super online help for fish in cycling (water changes/testing) and believe my tank has now cycled. I lost the 2 Angel fish which was devastating (children very upset, burials) but so far the 5 tetra and clown striped pleco have survived.

Can I find out how much I should feed the pleco? He’s about 5cm. Because of issues with tank I went for light feeding(every other day for tetras). Pleco was pretty active but last 2 days hiding in coconut cave. He seems paler in colour, colour change has happened before (went pale) then he went darker again.
Testing water parameters daily:
Nitrite 0ppm for 3 days now
Ammonia 0ppm (if 0.25ppm I do water change)
Nitrate looks like 5ppm.

Advice on the internet is to feed pleco regularly but also that they eat other fish waste (although some sites say they don’t- very confusing).
Any help really appreciated. I naively bought fish in December for my son’s birthday and it’s been quite hellish as no one told me about the nitrogen cycle or which fish to stock. I’m slowly learning, this site has been great as I’m occasionally on the verge of giving my fish up for adoption I’m so worried about them.

AggressiveAquatics

What size tank is this? And it seems like you’ve got everything under control right now in terms of water parameters. I feed my pleco every other day. He just shares some algae wafers and zucchini with the snails. And plecos don’t eat poop. No need to be stressed

mimianderson

AggressiveAquatics said:
What size tank is this? And it seems like you’ve got everything under control right now in terms of water parameters. I feed my pleco every other day. He just shares some algae wafers and zucchini with the snails. And plecos don’t eat poop. No need to be stressed
Tank size is 105 litres. My water parameters were not great at one point (1ppm Aquarium and 0.5ppm nitrite) but got them normalised within 2 weeks with daily water changes.
Fed an algae wafer late last night once all lights our. Half gone. Hoping it was pleco not tetras that ate it. I think he’s now hiding under the coral today and looks darker in colour. Will not disturb him as otherwise may cause stress?
My local fish keeper not keen on fresh food eg zucchini as may rot. I have some cucumber. Do you recommend fresh food for pleco?
Many thanks.

DoubleDutch

Is there wood in the tank. Clowns need wood in their diet. Besides that they are hardly an algaeeater but need protein in their diet as well. So you might need a change in diet there.

mimianderson

DoubleDutch said:
Is there wood in the tank. Clowns need wood in their diet. Besides that they are hardly an algaeeater but need protein in their diet as well. So you might need a change in diet there.
Yes I have drift wood. I have cat fish pellets and bug bites. I’ll drop a cat fish pellet in today. Does that sound a good idea? Pleco nice dark colour today and looking livelier. So feeling better. Finding fish keeping very stressful! Thank you for your advice.
mimianderson said:
Yes I have drift wood. I have cat fish pellets and bug bites. I’ll drop a cat fish pellet in tonight once tetras are starting their bedtime routine! Pleco nice dark colour today and looking livelier. So feeling better. Finding fish keeping very stressful! Thank you for your advice.
Here’s a photo from today. Hard to see him though. But he does look more normal colour and moving about.

DoubleDutch

mimianderson said:
Yes I have drift wood. I have cat fish pellets and bug bites. I’ll drop a cat fish pellet in today. Does that sound a good idea? Pleco nice dark colour today and looking livelier. So feeling better. Finding fish keeping very stressful! Thank you for your advice.

Here’s a photo from today. Hard to see him though. But he does look more normal colour and moving about.
"Catfish" is quite wide. There are 100% hervivores, omnivores at the herbivorious side, omnivores at the carnivorious and 100% carnivores. So it depends what the catfishpellet is based on.

In fact clowns are Lignivores (word doesn't exist but Lignum is Latin for wood) and need some "meat" as well

mimianderson

DoubleDutch said:
"Catfish" is quite wide. There are 100% hervivores, omnivores at the herbivorious side, omnivores at the carnivorious and 100% carnivores. So it depends what the catfishpellet is based on.

In fact clowns are Lignivores (word doesn't exist but Lignum is Latin for wood) and need some "meat" as well

Many thanks for your info! What meat do you suggest?

Latest threads

Top Bottom