Clown striped pleco and algae wafers

mimianderson

I started reading some existing posts on this topic and have read a lot online. I’m a real beginner with fish and made lots of mistakes due to poor advice from LFS. No real help except from members in this forum. Thank you for responding to my calls for help so far!
I’m really confused from conflicting advice how often to feed my clown striped pleco algae wafers. I’ve read this should be sparingly but then elsewhere once a day. Consistent advice is that these type of pleco should be surviving mainly on wood. I’m in the process of introducing new driftwoods (Malaysian driftwood) to our tank once curing process complete. Any advice about the algae wafer feeding frequency greatly appreciated!

StarGirl

All I know is they dont survive mainly on wood...How big is your Pleco and how big are the wafers? I feed mine fresh veggies twice a week along with wafers. My wafers are a little bigger than the diameter of a pea.

mimianderson

StarGirl said:
All I know is they dont survive mainly on wood...How big is your Pleco and how big are the wafers? I feed mine fresh veggies twice a week along with wafers. My wafers are a little bigger than the diameter of a pea.
I would say about 4cm. I’ve put a wafer in tonight under the coral where he hangs out. I thought he was looking a bit thinner and less lively. Colour good though. My wafers bigger. I’d say diameter of 1 penny piece. I tried fresh veggie. Wasn’t interested. I was worried about leaving it in tank all night. The tetras like the wafers too so anything unused the tetras can have tomorrow. Very tough as so much conflicting advice online and my LFS are useless.

StarGirl

mimianderson said:
I would say about 4cm. I’ve put a wafer in tonight under the coral where he hangs out. I thought he was looking a bit thinner and less lively. Colour good though. My wafers bigger. I’d say diameter of 1 penny piece. I tried fresh veggie. Wasn’t interested. I was worried about leaving it in tank all night. The tetras like the wafers too so anything unused the tetras can have tomorrow. Very tough as so much conflicting advice online and my LFS are useless.
I would leave a veggie in the tank all night, from my knowledge Clown plecos are shy and hide. Try like a chunk of zucchini with the skin on or a red bell pepper those are my plecos favs. Seeded of course.
I would break the wafer in half and see how much he eats if there is still a bunch left feed a 1/4.
Algae eaters are really hard to feed sometimes. If you think he looks thin feed him every day.

mimianderson

StarGirl said:
I would leave a veggie in the tank all night, from my knowledge Clown plecos are shy and hide. Try like a chunk of zucchini with the skin on or a red bell pepper those are my plecos favs. Seeded of course.
I would break the wafer in half and see how much he eats if there is still a bunch left feed a 1/4.
Algae eaters are really hard to feed sometimes. If you think he looks thin feed him every day.
Many thanks for your advice. Re veggies do you blanch them? Advice I read is to peel them in case of pesticides on the skin. But then I guess maybe really boring and tasteless and hence why he was not interested?

StarGirl

mimianderson said:
Many thanks for your advice. Re veggies do you blanch them? Advice I read is to peel them in case of pesticides on the skin. But then I guess maybe really boring and tasteless and hence why he was not interested?
You could buy organic if your worried about pesticides. I just wash it good and feed it raw. My pleco is about 3-4 inches though. Little ones you may want to blanche it. She LOVES the peel, thats what she eats first. I just sink it with a plant weight. Some use a fork faced down... whatever.

mimianderson

Good tip re organic. Thank you. I’ll try some organic zucchini with peel on.

StarGirl

I leave it in all night, all the time. You just dont want to leave it for days though.

Top Bottom