Clown Pleco

1. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

So I got a new clown pleco the other day. I got him because I used to have a bristlenose, but re-homed her because I was going planted and changed my gravel to sand, and she produced an enormous amount of waste and pushed all my sand around messing up the aquascape I had going. I researched clown plecos and decided that it's smaller size might mean less waste and less destruction. When I had my bristlenose, she was out and about almost all the time. My clown pleco has just been hiding ever since I got him. Is this what I should expect for his whole lifetime? I read a lot of people say their plecos love cucumber so I stuck a thin slice on the tank wall with my cleaning magnet but he has not touched it yet. Any advice or insights welcome! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405208540.200857.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405208554.121466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Nuthatch Member Member

We've had a clown pleco for months now, and yeah, all he does is hide. We catch glimpses of him hanging out inside his tree stump, and once in a great while we'll spot him in the mouth of the tree or inside the cave we built. But really all he does for us is hide.

We got him to replace a common pleco that grew too big. We were all very sad to see Ugg go but he was really too big any more. He had personality and no fear (of course) so we saw him all the time. Ugglet has been a real letdown. :(

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Plecos are mostly nocturnal & are more active late evening & night.
    Try feeding a variety of veg & find out which is his favourite, you may see him more then.
    A friend gives hers the large type mushrooms & it goes nuts for it.

4. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

I guess I just got lucky with my outgoing bristlenose then!
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try a variety of veggies :)

5. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405720569.984433.jpg
    Look who came out today :)
    Only because I moved his driftwood hiding spot..

6. k9z3boys Member Member

he's very pretty! our rubberlip is also very shy. I see him enough to know he is alive..

7. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406788983.566972.jpg
    Hey he came out voluntarily today! And I saw him out sucking on the glass last night after lights out, he's making progress:)

8. k9z3boys Member Member

Our bristle hardly ever hides
    we very very rarely see the rubberlip
    I've heard clowns are extremely shy too :(

9. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

Well, he's gradually becoming more and more outgoing! Now he cleans the glass every night and is even out in the daytime sometimes!

10. terrynachos Member Member

I was debating a clown pleco to go in my convict firemouth tank but not sure. A green phantom sounds good too but still need to ask around and do some research.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

He's quite the adventurer now! Hardly shy at all :) I've now had him for about 5 weeks I believe. Also I've noticed that he has become a lot darker, making his yellow hands more visible.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407780507.470988.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407780525.201061.jpg
    Maybe he just needed time. I never feed algae wafers in my tank, but I have lots of algae and driftwood. I think not feeding wafers encouraged him to become independent and come out to forage on his own instead of becoming dependent on wafers being dropped in.

12. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

clown plecos are wood eaters and dont touch algae as much. they will pick a hiding spot and defend it against other sp. of the same.

13. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

Yeah that's what people keep on telling me, but I haven't noticed any of that behavior in this little guy. He actually eats the algae off my glass fairly often.
    But I'm afraid he may be dead :( I've been treating my tank for ich with a methylene blue medication for the past 3 days. Minutes after those pictures were taken, he flipped on his back and was unable to right himself, and that's when I realized he probably reacted badly to the medication. I did an immediate 60% water change, but all I can see is his tail sticking out from under my driftwood and it hasn't moved for the past 5 hours :/
    If he's still in the same place tomorrow when I get home from work I'll net him out and see if he's in fact dead :(

14. Kuhligirl93 Member Member

RIP little guy :( I'm so sad to lose him. Just as he was getting adjusted to the tank, and he was so cute.
    Hesitant to get a new one though because I think introducing him was what brought ich into my tank in the first place :/
    I read that medication bottle at least 3 times. It said nothing about being unsafe for plecos or scaleless fish..

15. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Poor guy:(