40 Gallon Tank Clown Pleco Underside Skin Issue

PlanetRock

I am going through a heavy duty phytoplankton problem right now and I haven’t seen my pleco in quite awhile. I’ve actually never seen the underside of him until today.
Upon closer inspection when zooming in I noticed what look like blotches OR like his skin is being eaten away!

my water should be back to normal within a weeks time. I did literally everything possible before I took the last step and ordered a UV light I’ll be putting inside my filter tonight, so please ignore that problem.

I looked up other clown plecos online and didn’t see anything that looked like this.

any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• 0DAC01BD-5CBA-4CE6-A9FC-648CA184B14C.jpeg
    0DAC01BD-5CBA-4CE6-A9FC-648CA184B14C.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 15
  • D8C3B7F0-D27C-413E-8D18-1F6299BDBA18.jpeg
    D8C3B7F0-D27C-413E-8D18-1F6299BDBA18.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 15

MacZ

Besides the fact that it's a bit thin, the rough areas are normal. Those are areas with odontodes ("skin teeth"), like they have on their fins and most of their dorsal side.

theUMP

I am going through a heavy duty phytoplankton problem right now and I haven’t seen my pleco in quite awhile. I’ve actually never seen the underside of him until today.
Upon closer inspection when zooming in I noticed what look like blotches OR like his skin is being eaten away!

my water should be back to normal within a weeks time. I did literally everything possible before I took the last step and ordered a UV light I’ll be putting inside my filter tonight, so please ignore that problem.

I looked up other clown plecos online and didn’t see anything that looked like this.

any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide for your algae bloom? I used 5ml of 3% H2O2 in a 55 gallon. After 24 hours the H2O2 turns to water. Remove any sensitive fish if you are worried. Your pleco looks fine. Sunlight on the tank can cause huge problems. Not enough lighting can also be an issue. I run LED and have them on for 10hrs per day in heavily planted tanks. (no CO2). If you only treat the symptom and not the cause you will keep going green. Reduce liquid nutrients. Treatment with hydrogen peroxide - Aquascaping Wiki
Pleco can get discoloured when stressed. My Queen Arabesque had white patches from getting
picked on by the Lemon Plecos. It got moved to a 20-gallon long reboot with only smaller plecos like the Columbian Zebra and a mob of Celestial Danios. Much happier now.

PlanetRock

Besides the fact that it's a bit thin, the rough areas are normal. Those are areas with odontodes ("skin teeth"), like they have on their fins and most of their dorsal side.
Oh okay thank you. I’ve never got to see him on his underside so it looked very scary to me! Plus searching other plecos online, none of them had it. As for his weight he was skinnier when I got him so he’s getting better slowly. Again thanks and take care!
Have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide for your algae bloom? I used 5ml of 3% H2O2 in a 55 gallon. After 24 hours the H2O2 turns to water. Remove any sensitive fish if you are worried. Your pleco looks fine. Sunlight on the tank can cause huge problems. Not enough lighting can also be an issue. I run LED and have them on for 10hrs per day in heavily planted tanks. (no CO2). If you only treat the symptom and not the cause you will keep going green. Reduce liquid nutrients. Treatment with hydrogen peroxide - Aquascaping Wiki
Pleco can get discoloured when stressed. My Queen Arabesque had white patches from getting
picked on by the Lemon Plecos. It got moved to a 20-gallon long reboot with only smaller plecos like the Columbian Zebra and a mob of Celestial Danios. Much happier now.
Hello and thanks for your reply. As for the water the UV light will definitely clear it up and I will keep the peroxide in mind if it comes back once the UV light is removed and the waters clear.
as for the placement of the tank, yes it’s near sun but so are two of my other tanks which are much closer and I’ve never had this problem. I’ve had other issues, just not phytoplankton. I also have two great lights and a lot of plants, most of them just need to grow some more. We don’t have a lot of selection in my city and I can’t afford to buy online right now.
I do have to ask, what do you mean by liquid nutrients?
And as for my pleco he’s the only one in there with three otos and two mollies I plan to rehome once my tank is in good enough shape to transfer the 1/2 half moon/1/2 crown tail, jumping gene bettas I bred into it.
Sorry to hear about your Queen Arabesque but happy to hear she’s doing better now!
thanks for all your advice and the time you took to help me out.
Take care!
Tiffany

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThatLittleFox
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
idkausernamesoyeah