Clown pleco jumped?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Jswin, Aug 14, 2015.

1. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Bought a clown pleco yesterday and put him in quarantine tank with two cave decorations for hiding spots since they like to hide. Came home today no pleco. I took the decorations out. Nothing. He must've jumped and made a snack for the dog because I searched everywhere even on the floor under furniture.

So are plecos generally jumpers

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Plecos regularly climb out of aquaria, often up the filter waterfall. Which is why all FW tanks require a lid.

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If you had a cycled filter in the tank he may have gotten busy slurping up all the yummy bacteria scum on the outflow and climbed on out. I've had them do that more than once.
    carol

4. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

Not really but anyfish will jump out of the tank if theres something about the tank or water they don't like, my calico pleco is pretty lazy, did you check the filter I know some people have found there plecos in there just munching away at the algea and stuff that grows in the filter

5. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Its a little top fin internal filter. Nowhere for him to be. He's for sure not in the tank. It's glass bottom and I took the two caves out.

6. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Ok so this is nuts. I thought the pleco was gone. So I took everything out of the tank, drained it cleaned it filled it back up and put an injured dwarf Gourami in the quarantine tank to heal, and 5 days later(today) I went in with the lights off and like magic there is the clown pleco. I literally dumped all water scrubbed the tank and decorations, filter, heater then put it all back together and he somehow stayed hidden and alive. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440041622.269534.jpg

7. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

most likely in the substrate (since you drained the tank), but im glad you found him

8. JswinWell Known MemberMember

Glass bottom quarantine tank. No substrate

9. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Teleportation, gotta be, lol. Maybe he just wedged himself in the corner of an ornament? This is very strange indeed. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. alirayFishlore VIPMember

I would also say that he was inside one of the ornaments. I am very glad you found him. This is why I like the ABN AND Lemon BN"s they stick out like sore thumbs because they don't blend in with the background. :eek:... At my age my eye sight isn't what it used to be. Alison

11. JswinWell Known MemberMember

He was out of the tank for 15-20min while I cleaned the tank and decorations to put back in there to medicate my dwarf gourami. He's obviously very hardy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice