Clown Pleco Emergency

Weeb Snail

Alright, so last night I closed the lid. I don't do that normally. I just did it to see if it would help with keeping in water.
This morning
ALL **** INSUES.

My corys are fine (I have 7), there is slime algae coating my filter, and I just cleaned it. My fish are at the surface trying to breath, even my plecos are sucked to the glass at the top.

Idid a huge water change and put the filter ok' n overdrive, so the fish are ok now, besides 2.

One, a glowlight tetra, died last night and I buried him this morning.
another, I cannot tell if he's dead. He's a clown pleco. He does not swim when I poke him, and he was at the surface until the water change.

His mouth moves occasionally, and his dorsal fin does move up or down,but I cannot tell if its the water doing it or if he's dead.
He might have suffocated by moving down to the bottom. I'm scared. I'm panicking.

My other one is fine. I peeled theplastic off of the back (it prevents reflections) and saw him next to the heater, all fine and dandy.

Here's the sick, potentially dead pleco.

15572333405093436916996710268852.jpg
He looks fine, besides ragged fins from his old life. He's fairly new, and I don't want my poor boy to die. Please help quick.

CaptainAquatics

Alright, so last night I closed the lid. I don't do that normally. I just did it to see if it would help with keeping in water.
This morning
ALL INSUES.

My corys are fine (I have 7), there is slime algae coating my filter, and I just cleaned it. My fish are at the surface trying to breath, even my plecos are sucked to the glass at the top.

Idid a huge water change and put the filter ok' n overdrive, so the fish are ok now, besides 2.

One, a glowlight tetra, died last night and I buried him this morning.
another, I cannot tell if he's dead. He's a clown pleco. He does not swim when I poke him, and he was at the surface until the water change.

His mouth moves occasionally, and his dorsal fin does move up or down,but I cannot tell if its the water doing it or if he's dead.
He might have suffocated by moving down to the bottom. I'm scared. I'm panicking.

My other one is fine. I peeled theplastic off of the back (it prevents reflections) and saw him next to the heater, all fine and dandy.

Here's the sick, potentially dead pleco.

15572333405093436916996710268852.jpg
He looks fine, besides ragged fins from his old life. He's fairly new, and I don't want my poor boy to die. Please help quick.

Do you have a extra airstone? I would get as much air into the tank as possible, possibly medicate to boost there slime coat. Also to see if the pleco is dead or not take him out of the water. He will react if he is still alive.

Weeb Snail

Do you have a extra airstone? I would get as much air into the tank as possible, possibly medicate to boost there slime coat. Also to see if the pleco is dead or not take him out of the water. He will react if he is still alive.
I immediately drained and refilled the water, with q bunch of agitation during so it would give more o2.
Sadly, he did pass. I buried him next to the other good boy that passed.
His name was Creek, my first ever pleco. I didn't have him long. Only a few months. Ever since christmas I think.
The other one was a glowlight, he was around since the very beginning.

The rest are all healthy now.

Thank you for your concern, it really felt noce when I got a fast response.

Fanatic

So was this whole accident caused by a lack of oxygen? What kind of lid is on the tank?

Weeb Snail

A
So was this whole accident caused by a lack of oxygen? What kind of lid is on the tank?
Glass lid, I always have it open since I like the oxygen flow. it was closed last night, and I think that caused it.

Fanatic

A

Glass lid, I always have it open since I like the oxygen flow. it was closed last night, and I think that caused it.

Odd, does it completely cover the entire tank, leaving no space for air?

Morpheus1967

Hard to believe a lid would do that? Where does your filter return go? The cord for your heater?

Weeb Snail

Odd, does it completely cover the entire tank, leaving no space for air?
No, its one of the glass ones you buy at any lfs, with the plastic strip on the back. I reoved the plastic bit a long time ago.

After I got hone from school, the water is jow all cloudy. Apparently there's some ammonia or something in the water causing it.
Not sure.

Hard to believe a lid would do that? Where does your filter return go? The cord for your heater?
My filter return? As in outflow? I have 2 filters, one flowing to the right and one flowing towards the front of the tank.

Fanatic

No, its one of the glass ones you buy at any lfs, with the plastic strip on the back. I reoved the plastic bit a long time ago.

After I got hone from school, the water is jow all cloudy. Apparently there's some ammonia or something in the water causing it.
Not sure.

Have you tested your tank water recently, and do you have cycled media in the filter?

Weeb Snail

Have you tested your tank water recently, and do you have cycled media in the filter?
Yes to both, the nitrates are at 20 ppm but everything else is fine.

I think its because of the food the corys push into the soil.

Fanatic

Yes to both, the nitrates are at 20 ppm but everything else is fine.

I think its because of the food the corys push into the soil.

Do you mind sending a picture of your tank, if possible?

Weeb Snail

Do you mind sending a picture of your tank, if possible?
Sadly I cannot right now, but I do have a major problem as of late.
I don't know what it is, but my glowlights are panicking. They nearly always go to the surface to breath. I'm trying to figure it out.

Its not co2, because my corydora are fine and so is my remaining pleco.
The milkiness is so bad I cannot see the back of the tank anymore. I am trying to diagnose, whilst also doing daily 25% changes

The glowlights are eating, but they are really stressed. I might need to clean something out of my filter, I have not done it lately.

Also, my canister has a crappy pump. I'm going to replace it today, since this is a perfect opportunity to do such a thing. Increasing the surface area and causing more disturbances/splashing might help out with the problem.

Fanatic

Are you sure there isn't ammonia in the tank, this sounds a lot like a bacterial bloom caused by a minI cycle.

Did you perhaps do a water change the night before this happened, or do anything differently besides close the lid?

Weeb Snail

Are you sure there isn't ammonia in the tank, this sounds a lot like a bacterial bloom caused by a minI cycle.

Did you perhaps do a water change the night before this happened, or do anything differently besides close the lid?
I didn't do anything different that I could think of...

I have had minicycles, but none this bad.
What should I do??? Should I change the water to lower the concentration of chemicals?

DoubleDutch

Is there Ich visible on the Clown ?

Weeb Snail

Is there Ich visible on the Clown ?
No. I saw little white bugs on her though. I thought it was ich when I first saw it, but it was just little copapods that stood out against her black scales.

I'll do a test today for ammonia and nitrites. It sounds similar to nitrite poisoning, and I pray it is so I can fix the problem fast.

Fanatic

No. I saw little white bugs on her though. I thought it was ich when I first saw it, but it was just little copapods that stood out against her black scales.

I'll do a test today for ammonia and nitrites. It sounds similar to nitrite poisoning, and I pray it is so I can fix the problem fast.

I recommend frequent water changes when something appears wrong with the water quality.

Weeb Snail

I recommend frequent water changes when something appears wrong with the water quality.
Kk. I did that yesterday and the day before.
My fish seem normal today. They were probably still trying to get air yesterday, since my room has bad ventilation. I turned on my fan and removed the lid entirely.

The water is still milky, but at least the nitrites are 0ppm and the ammonia is 0 too. Idk why its milky even though nitrites and ammonia are 0ppm lol. I've had it happen before, but it never affected my fish at all besides this time.
Because of the rapid measures I took, a few spots of algae grew and my tank looks like it should have cereal in it.

15573491482526929494906201611851.jpg
15573491728621603390230143275808.jpg

DoubleDutch

Looks like bacterial bloom. That uses oxygen as well.

angelcraze

The heterotrophic bacteria is what is causing the o2 depletion.

The cloudiness is bacteria trying to establish itself after the minI cycle. Hetrotrophic bacteria reproduces a lot faster than nitrogenous bacteria and stays in the water column and why you see it. You have to try to get nitrogeous bacteria to outcompete the heterotrophic bacteria. This will happen with time.

But for now, do you have an airstone you could add to increase o2 levels? Can you alter the filter output so that it is disrupting the water surface?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WagglePets
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
FishyFishybaby
Replies