Clown loaches

emmykenzie

Member
Hello!
I’d really like to be a general clown loach thread but I do have some things to discuss.
Looking to chat with anyone with Clown Loach experience or even if you’re just a CL fan!
I’ve heard in a few places about clown loaches jumping out of water. My loaches have never showed any inclination to jumping.
Anyone had successful experiences with keeping loaches in an open top tank?

Also; do loaches prefer fast or slow moving water?

Any plants anyone has noticed that CL absolutely adore?
 

Redshark1

Member
For info and chat about Clown Loaches I would direct you to Facebook Clown Loach Fanatics and Monsterfishkeepers.com. Older but good information is still available at Loachesonline.com.

Regarding open topped tanks. I would advise against this. Why risk the animals supposedly in your care? That is a dereliction of duty. Evaporation losses would also be heavy.

My approach is if you allow something bad to happen sooner or later it will happen. As an animal keeper it is your responsibility to spot these risks and mitigate against them.

Experience is not the best teacher. Duplicating mistakes made by others is not smart. Learning from other people's mistakes is smarter.

As a guide I'd say 10 x turnover is sufficient flow for Clown Loaches. You don't want them driven into hiding by a massive current that prevents them from sitting on the substrate.

Clown Loaches will eat most plants. You may get lucky with growing Java Fern and Anubias and them leaving it alone but it is never guaranteed.
 
  • Thread Starter

emmykenzie

Member
Redshark1 said:
For info and chat about Clown Loaches I would direct you to Facebook Clown Loach Fanatics and Monsterfishkeepers.com. Older but good information is still available at Loachesonline.com.

Regarding open topped tanks. I would advise against this. Why risk the animals supposedly in your care? That is a dereliction of duty. Evaporation losses would also be heavy.

My approach is if you allow something bad to happen sooner or later it will happen. As an animal keeper it is your responsibility to spot these risks and mitigate against them.

Experience is not the best teacher. Duplicating mistakes made by others is not smart. Learning from other people's mistakes is smarter.

As a guide I'd say 10 x turnover is sufficient flow for Clown Loaches. You don't want them driven into hiding by a massive current that prevents them from sitting on the substrate.

Clown Loaches will eat most plants. You may get lucky with growing Java Fern and Anubias and them leaving it alone but it is never guaranteed.
Hi!
Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure to check out those other sites. I find most information I’ve encountered has been subpar.
Ive even had someone tell me I don’t need to upgrade my 55g for my juvenile loaches and they can live their days out there!! Advice that is only good if they want a stunted sad life.
I’ve had very good luck with my loaches and Java fern!
I agree with you for sure that learning from peoples mistakes is key, and that’s more what I mean. The longer you take part in this hobby the more you see. You’re absolutely correct in saying repeating mistakes is not smart, which is why I always take from multiple proven sources. Again, most of the information I’ve been told has me scratching my head. I have a few good LFS around me but none that are experienced with clown loaches. I own several books on loaches but the information is all very general.
thank you again, I’ll be sure to visit these other forums!
 

jmaldo

Member
Clown Loaches, I have been keeping a group of 5 just shy of a year now. I had a 6th but somehow it jumped out of the tank with a lid within a couple of weeks.
At times they are very active usually cruising the tank together, but also spend alot of time hiding. A not so good pic of mine,


Clown Loaches 52420.jpg


Here is a link might help:
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-ClownLoach.htm

I purchased mine from a well known breeder here coralbandit has been keeping them for years, he may be able to pass along some info.

Good Luck!
 
  • Thread Starter

emmykenzie

Member
A
jmaldo said:
Clown Loaches, I have been keeping a group of 5 just shy of a year now. I had a 6th but somehow it jumped out of the tank with a lid within a couple of weeks.
At times they are very active usually cruising the tank together, but also spend alot of time hiding. A not so good pic of mine,


Clown Loaches 52420.jpg


Here is a link might help:
Clown Loach Care, Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding

I purchased mine from a well known breeder here coralbandit has been keeping them for years, he may be able to pass along some info.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it! How many gallons is your tank?
Those are some cuties you’ve got there! I have 4 juvies right now, had a 5th but I had a water shift while I was away and lost him I’m cycling a 120 for them right now! Mine are constantly chilling together in their cave system, laying on the substrate, or jetting around after each other. Such adorable fish to watch.
 

coralbandit

Member
Most my tanks are topless.
The 180g with my large clowns has a canopy top with glass in the back ..
I run a gyre that creates a powerful flow from one end of tank to the other .
My guys have shelter and plenty of wood to hang out around ..
My other tank with clowns is totally topless and none have jumped out yet [like 18-24 months ] ..
I had plants for quite some time but eventually they decided to eat them all ...
 

Redshark1

Member
coralbandit Post #4 reads like you are a Clown Loach breeder!
 

coralbandit

Member
Redshark1 said:
coralbandit Post #4 reads like you are a Clown Loach breeder!
I saw and thought that also !
I went to a DiscusMadness 2 years ago and they had a tank with very nice looking clowns about 1 1/2 inches for $10 each so I said I'll take them all [15 or so ] ...
They all hid so well in a 4x2 60 g tank and I saw that I lost one and did not know how many I had left in tank to be honest .
When Joe said he was looking for /thinking of clowns I figured I would offer Joe some of my guys .
He has been a good customer of mine and I consider him a friend .The clowns were not ever intended to be sold when I got them but for a friend and a love of clowns I felt compelled to offer Joe clowns I knew would do well for him as opposed to what is often found in most stores .
I think I have 6-8 of them downstairs in the 60 still, they hide so well in a cave/tube .
Soon I will bring them up into the 180 with the big group ..
 

jmaldo

Member
Oops...
Redshark1 said:
coralbandit Post #4 reads like you are a Clown Loach breeder!
I have to watch my wording, but Tom, is a breeder of Rams, EBA, Angels, Swords and Discus. IMHO he has the "Best" fish.
In fact my first purchase was a pair of EBA, 3 years ago and I am still breeding them.
emmykenzie said:
How many gallons is your tank?
They are in a 55g right now plan on up sizing in the Spring/Summer.
They are growing well, the largest is almost 4".
 

Borocat

Member
emmykenzie said:
Hello!
I’d really like to be a general clown loach thread but I do have some things to discuss.
Looking to chat with anyone with Clown Loach experience or even if you’re just a CL fan!
I’ve heard in a few places about clown loaches jumping out of water. My loaches have never showed any inclination to jumping.
Anyone had successful experiences with keeping loaches in an open top tank?

Also; do loaches prefer fast or slow moving water?

Any plants anyone has noticed that CL absolutely adore?
I feel like they like faster moving water with some current.
 
  • Thread Starter

emmykenzie

Member
Borocat said:
I feel like they like faster moving water with some current.
From what I’ve observed of mine I agree. Not enough to buy a power head circulator but sufficient water over turn is appreciated.
Here’s a photo of mine doing the feed me dance!
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom